[Diversitystudiescertificate] Invitation to a life-changing experience!

Musselman, Amie am587813 at ohio.edu
Tue Oct 1 10:43:41 EDT 2019

Hi folks!  I want to inform everyone in the Diversity Studies Certificate program that I am leading the domestic Study Away program this early summer semester called "Cultural Immersion with the Navajo Nation." The dates for the trip are May 9th - 17th, 2020 (first week of first summer session).

I have attached a flier for the trip that lists some of the activities and excursions. While this trip takes us, for example, to the Grand Canyon--we're not going simply as tourists but our Navajo facilitators will be teaching us about the sacred nature of these lands that have belonged to them, the Diné People, for thousands of years.

I take only a small group (10-12) and we are completely immersed 24/7 into reservation life and will be taught about traditional Navajo culture, and historical and contemporary issues. We will live, work, eat, study together 24/7 and stay in a dorm setting on the reservation for the bulk of the stay. We will work alongside of the Navajo People with them leading the way.

I know that these trips are not inexpensive, but hopefully if you make a commitment now, you will have time to save some money, talk to financial aid about covering summer session tuition (a 3 credit class), and other potential funding options.

If you are interested and want to know more about the budget and/or the program, you can get the most direct answers by dropping into the Office of Global Opportunities (OGO) on Park Place right next to the 4th floor Baker entrance. They have drop in advising, as well as making an appointment. The program coordinator for our program is Ms. Kirsten Dalbeko, but any of the OGO advisors can provide you with information.

If you want more detailed information about the trip itself, I am happy to answer questions. This trip counts for either EDCS 1011 or EDCS 4001 classes for the DSC. If you need either of those classes, this trip will also knock those out (they also meet Gen Ed requirements).

If you have an interest, consider applying. If you're accepted, you don't have to make a final commitment until Spring when a deposit will be due. But if you don't apply, you may lose the opportunity to participate because I only take a small group.

Hope some of you will take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to learn more about some of our own Native People who live on their sovereign nation within the U.S...and be amazed by the land of the Southwest U.S. It is stunning!

Best,  --Prof. Hutchinson

McCracken Hall 302U, Ohio University
Athens, OH  45701
Email: hutchint at ohio.edu

Pronouns: Preference to use name; or he, him, his