[Diversitystudiescertificate] Check this out!

Dawes, Kaytlin kd353210 at ohio.edu
Wed Nov 2 13:19:33 EDT 2016

Hello!

There's another course being offered Spring Semester that wasn't on the original sheet I sent out. Course information is below. As always, if you're looking at classes and think that it sounds like a good diversity class (keeping in mind that the DSC focuses on Diversity in the United States, not abroad) feel free to email me or Dr. Hutchinson and let us know! There are so many fabulous courses offered every semester that it can be difficult to keep up!

Katie

LJC 4500X: Race, Violence and the Law
Wednesdays 6:05pm-8:50pm
by Dr. Taylor (taylork2 at ohio.edu)
Course Description: What is the relationship between race, violence, and the law in the American context? Does law suppress practices of race-based violence? In a nation marked by a long and living history of white supremacy, is law a powerful tool of recourse, resistance, political struggle, and freedom? Alternatively, when and how might law create, sustain, or institutionalize violence against people of color? What roles do gender and sexuality play in negotiating the boundaries of violence and law? This course uses historical texts and current scholarship to critically analyze the complex relationship between race, violence, and law in the history of the United States.

Course # 13887