[Diversitystudiescertificate] Exciting Study "Abroad" Experience

Hutchinson, Theodore hutchint at ohio.edu
Mon Jul 25 15:28:13 EDT 2016

Hello folks!

We hope you are enjoying the "dog days of summer" -- and not melting away entirely. We want to see you all back at OU this Fall!

I am writing to inform you of an opportunity to participate in a transformational study "abroad" experience this winter break. I am the faculty director for the "Cultural Immersion with the Navajo Nation" Global Opportunities trip from OU. The inaugural trip was held summer 2015 and we are now going to experience a winter break trip, from December 28th through January 6th.

I have attached a flyer for the trip and encourage you to consider it and apply. Deadline for applications for the trip is October 1st. We'll be holding informational meetings in September and will inform you of those. It will be a small trip, taking only 10-12 people so it is critical to get your application in as soon as possible.

There are two specific benefits to you:

1.  The tuition for this trip (3 semester credit hours) becomes a part of your Spring semester bill, so you do not have to pay additional tuition as you would have to for a summer study abroad trip. That means the cost of the program is only $1681 -- and that is all inclusive of room, board, events, within trip travel, museums, etc. Only your airfare would be your own responsibility.

2.  The two classes from which students can choose to receive credit are our two required Diversity Studies Certificate (DSC) classes, EDCS 1011 Intro to Diversity Studies (Tier 2) or EDCS 4001 Diversity and Democracy (Tier 3). You may take this as a Tier 3 class even if you are not a senior and it will count as filling your Tier 3 requirement.

If you have already taken those two classes, I would be willing to work with you to craft this as an elective class that would count for the DSC electives that you could take and potentially add a little additional academic work.

Please spread the word. The students who went on our inaugural trip last summer had a powerful experience being on the reservation 24/7 and learning what we did, experiencing what we did...please see the flyer that describes our potential activities.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to respond.

Best,  --Prof. Hutchinson

Lindley Hall S203, Ohio University
Athens, OH  45701
Email: hutchint at ohio.edu