[OU Dems] Come Talk About Our Future Tonight

Miller, Samantha sm754914 at ohio.edu
Tue Nov 15 12:56:32 EST 2016

Hello there,

This has been a hard week. I’ve spent the better part of the last 100 days doing everything I can to stop Donald Trump from becoming president. I am still dealing with the pain of the loss and struggling to come to terms with what it will mean for me on a personal level and for the future of our country.

Tonight we will have a community meeting for OU students who are worried about what Donald Trump’s presidency will mean for their lives and for the lives of their loved ones. I know I have my own concerns, but I have a lot to learn. I believe there is a community here that will benefit from first listening to each other, and then working together to make our campus a safer and more accepting space for all students.

As the President of the Ohio University College Democrats, I am heartbroken by the election of Donald Trump. I am also angry. I’m angry with our party for losing to a con, I’m angry at our country for electing a man who ran on hate. The list could go on. The only thing I know to do with that anger though, is to get back to work. I believe our democracy can with stand this. We’ve survived a civil war, and beaten fascism before. Just as I believe it is my duty as a citizen to accept that Donald Trump is my lawfully elected president, I believe it is my duty to help make sure that it’s only for one term.

I encourage you all to help begin the work of taking back our democracy. We all have such unique perspectives and ideas and I would love to hear you and work with you. I invite you to attend our meeting tonight at 8 p.m. in Baker 231. I sincerely hope to see you there. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

p.s. there will be pizza, so feel free to stop by and drown your sorrows in it.

Sam Miller
President • OU College Democrats
Ambassador • E.W. Scripps School of Journalism
Communications Director • College Democrats of Ohio
Communications Student • Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs