[Dems-L] Training Opportunity and OCD Convention

Lauren Elliott lauren.elliott3 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 11:05:41 EDT 2009

Hey everyone!

College Dems alum Mark Gaffney has passed along the following opportunity
for anyone graduating this spring. Also, the Ohio College Democrats
Convention is tomorrow (Saturday) in Columbus. This is a great opportunity
to network with other College Dems across the state and to receive important
trainings. There's no cost to go, other than a few bucks for gas. We'll be
leaving from the 4th floor of Baker at 10am. Just reply to this e-mail if
you want us to save you a spot.

Cheers,
Lauren

Graduating this spring? Want to work in progressive politics? Hoping to get
on a campaign or head into the nonprofit sector? The New Organizing
Institute's "Summer Campaign Boot Camp" might be for you!

NOI is running a special "early admission" blitz right now. Apply now and
your application will receive special consideration. Don't miss this
opportunity to receive an ALL-EXPENSE-PAID training in the nation's capital,
from top experts in the field.

If you want to join a nonprofit or political campaign and are serious about
learning everything you need to know from some of the most innovative minds
in the field, apply now for the NOI Summer Campaign Boot Camp.

At NOI's Summer Campaign Boot Camp, you'll spend one intensive week learning
the fundamentals of traditional political campaigning...plus how to leverage
technology to maximize a campaign's fundraising and organizing potential.

*Apply by April 15 for early
admission*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.democracyinaction.org%2Fo%2F1095%2Ft%2F9024%2FsignUp.jsp%3Fkey%3D4010>

During the day, you'll learn from Dean, Kerry, MoveOn, and Obama alums;
experts in voter files, micro-targeting, paid advertising, and earned media;
top bloggers and respected authors; and experienced professionals working in
this field. You'll learn everything from how to write an effective email to
how to manage field campaigns, how to organize houseparties to building an
email list of supporters.

In the evening, you'll work in teams to put the lessons of the day to work
on a mock campaign. By the time you leave, you'll be ready to work for a
progressive campaign or organization.

As an NOI alum, you'll have instant access to dozens of exciting
opportunities in this field, and a permanent network to lean on for career
support and strategic advice. Admission is highly competitive. All expenses
(including meals and accommodations) are paid.

In the past, BootCamp alumni have gone on to run major online organizing
campaigns for organizations and candidates and even work in the White House.

*Don't miss out. Apply today!*

Deadline for early admission: April 15, 2009
Final deadline: May 20, 2009
Training dates: July 4-11, 2009

*Apply by April 15 for early
admission*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.democracyinaction.org%2Fo%2F1095%2Ft%2F9024%2FsignUp.jsp%3Fkey%3D4010>

P.S. Don't take our word for it. Here's what a few of NOI's BootCamp alumni
had to say:

"I feel informed and awakened. Before NOI I was participating in a world
which relies on online organizing, and was even doing some of this
organizing myself. But, I didn't get it. I didn't understand the concept of
blogs and building a larger e-mail list. Now I know what is going on when I
receive an e-mail asking me to take a certain action or tell a friend.
Theory and practice are one and I am ready to take on the world..."

- Weldon Kennedy, Online Campaign Coordinator, ONE Campaign (formerly DSCC)

"NOI took my dream and gave me the tools, knowledge, and confidence to make
it a reality, and most importantly, a career that makes a real difference in
the progressive infrastructure and that I can honestly say I love. I was
amazed from the start by the caliber of trainers, the breadth and depth of
the cirriculum, and the diverse group of my fellow trainees. It was an
incredible week, and I walked away and am now the leading online organizer
and campaign strategist in Michigan...all because of NOI."

-Julielyn Gibbons, Online Campaign Strategist, Progress Michigan

"It was an incredibly rich experience that I will never forget. It will
undoubtedly turn out to be a major turning point in my career, both as an
online organizer and as an activist engaged in the struggle to rescue our
nation. At NOI, I learned a tremendous amount about both online organizing
and traditional campaign tactics and strategies...when it comes to online
organizing, there's no other place in the world where you could get such
rich opportunities to meet and learn from the top innovators in the
country."

- Ian Kim, Green-Collar Jobs Campaign Director, Ella Baker Center for Human
Rights

"NOI introduced me to the concepts of content management and constituent
relationship management, which are central to the training, strategy, and
development work I do now. It also helped me begin thinking about how online
organizing fits into overall campaign strategy. I should say too that NOI
introduced me to a network of friends, mentors, and colleagues who are
invaluable to me now. In fact, relationships from NOI helped me get my
position at the League, which was a wonderful fit. I can't say enough how
grateful I am for the week I spent in D.C. with the NOI."

- Kip Williams, West Coast Outreach and Support Manager, Democracy In Action
(formerly League of Young Voters/

*Apply by April 15 for early
admission*<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=-1&url_num=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.democracyinaction.org%2Fo%2F1095%2Ft%2F9024%2FsignUp.jsp%3Fkey%3D4010>

Feel free to email Mia Cambronero at mia at neworganizing.com with any
questions.

--
Lauren Elliott
Teaching Assistant, Ohio University Political Science Department