[Dcoualumni] May Events Update: Nation's Capital Chapter

Robert Walter oubobcat33 at hotmail.com
Wed May 8 11:47:15 EDT 2013

Upcoming Events

May

May 14: Washington Policy Forum - Cyber Security & Homeland Defense
Ohio University’s College
 of Arts & Sciences, Scripps College of Communication, Voinovich
School of Leadership and Public Affairs and the Nation's Capital Chapter
 invite you to a special Washington D.C. Policy Forum:

 Cyber Security & Homeland Defense
 Tuesday, May 14, 2013
 5 to 8 p.m.

 U.S. Capitol Visitor Center
 HVC, Room 201 A&B
 Washington, D.C. 20510

 Please join University representatives and your fellow Ohio University
alumni for an evening of engagement, networking, and learning in an
iconic Washington D.C. venue.

 Moderator: Ray Locker, White House and Politics Editor, USA Today.

 Panelists:
 •	Sandra Stanar-Johnson, Senior Representative to the Department of Homeland Security, National Security Agency
 •	Jimmy Goodrich, Director of Global Policy, Information Technology Industry Council

 •	M. Peter Adler, Vice President, Health and Cybersecurity Counsel,
Chief Privacy Officer and Government Affairs, SRA International
 •	Dr. John Gilliom, Professor of Political Science and Associate Dean, Ohio University
 •	Christopher Barnett, Lead, Cyber Security and Mission Innovation, General Dynamics Information Technology.

 Special remarks by U.S. Representative Steve Stivers.

 The event is FREE to Ohio University alumni and friends; advanced registration required.

 RSVP by May 7 to: Jacqie Weber, 740-597-3347 or weberj2 at ohio.edu

June

June 12: DC Black Alumni - "Juneteenth" Celebration
Washington D.C. Area Black Alumni: Come Celebrate "Juneteenth" With Us!

We are taking our outreach efforts on the road with our Black Alumni Regional Events program to make sure we are connecting with Black alumni in various locations around the country. Because we know that not everyone can make it back to Athens for Black Alumni Reunion, we still want to make sure you are engaged alumni and offer more ways for you to come together.

And, as many Black communities around the country prepare to celebrate “Juneteenth”, the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States, we are hosting upcoming events in Atlanta and Washington, D.C in June. If you are in either of these areas, please register here and make plans to stop by and get involved with the Ohio University Alumni Association.

Location:
Ben’s Next Door
1211 U St, NW
Washington, DC 20009
www.bensnextdoor.com

Date: June 12
Time: 6-9 pm

Local Event Hosts:
Michael Spencer, Regional Host, Washington, D.C.
michaeltspencer at gmail.com

Brenda Dancil-Jones, Regional Host, Washington, D.C.
bdan at dja-inc.com

If you have questions regarding this event, please contact Kellea Tibbs at the Ohio University Alumni Association, tibbs at ohio.edu or 740-593-4300.

RSVP: https://secure.www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/OUL/event/showEventForm.jsp?form_id=151773

June 13: Alumni Networking Reception
Alumni
 Networking Reception with Ohio University Alumni Association Board of
Directors, University personnel and fellow Bobcats.

The Ohio
University Alumni Association Board would like to invite all DC-area
alumni to network with Board Members, University staff and fellow
alumni.  We invite you to mingle while experiencing the rich history of
Virtue, a historical structure.  Located on the Alexandria waterfront,
it was used as a feed house in the late 1800's.

Location:
Virtue Feed & Grain
106 S. Union St.
Alexandria, VA 22314
571.970.3669
http://virtuefeedgrain.com/

Date: June 13
Time: 6:30 - 8:30 pm

The
 early-bird cost is $20 per person or $35 per couple and includes two
complimentary beverage (beer and wine) and heavy hors d'oeuvres. A Cash
Bar will be available.

Please register below by June 7, 2012 to receive the early-bird discount.
https://secure.www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/OUL/event/showEventForm.jsp?form_id=150463

June 15: Ohio Golf Scramble
South Riding Golf Course
 http://www.southridinggc.com/
 43237 Golf View Drive
 South Riding, VA 20152

*Facebook Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/518205651553889/

 Come out and have a good time as we raise money for a scholarship to support a DC area student attending Ohio U.

 The winning golf team may qualify to go to the legendary Pinehurst
Resort to compete in the ACURA College Alumni Team
Championship.

 Time:
12:30am free driving range/Check-in opens
 1:30pm putting contest
 2:00pm shotgun start
 7:00pm (approx.) post-tournament dinner & awards

 Cost: $110 per player
          $30 per non player

 *For Players - Package includes: round of golf, cart, driving range, 3
tourney contests, dinner after the tournament, one future free round per
 player at South Riding Golf Course, and a goody bag.

 *For Non Players - Package will include dinner, and a goody bag. If you don't play golf but want to attend.

 Payment options:
 1. Pay online at: https://secure.www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/OUL/event/showEventForm.jsp?form_id=149049

 2. Mail a check, made out to “Nation’s Capital Chapter”, to the address below:
 Ohio Golf Scramble 2013
 c/o Robert Walter
 1704 S. Edgewood St
 Arlington, VA 22204

 * Make sure to include the Name, Status (player/non-player), email
address, Alum Status (School) for each person that you are paying for.

 Tournament Details:
4 person Best Ball Scramble format

 Prizes awarded on selected holes for:
 Longest Drive
 Closest to the Pin (par 3)
 Closest to the Pin from the Fairway (par 4)
 Mystery Contest(s)

 Special Tournament Contests:
 Pre-Tournament Long-Putting Challenge*
 Hole in One Challenges*
 *additional fees to enter

 Sponsors - We are looking for individuals or businesses as sponsors for
 holes/prizes for the tournament.
If you are interested, contact Robert
Walter at oubobcat33 at hotmail.com
Sponsors will
receive signage at a tee box on the course and mention in the event
program/emails.

AND MORE EVENTS TO BE ADDED...
Washington Nationals Game outing - July 28
Volunteer Events
Cornhole Tourney?
Football Gamewatches  - 9/1 vs. Louisville
Happy Hours - July
Ohio Halloween in DC - Oct. 26?

Visit: http://www.ohiou.org/
for more information on the Nation’s Capital Chapter Network and other future events

Keep up with the "Nation's Capital Chapter - Ohio University Alumni Association" group on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/nationscapitalchapter

Keep up with the Nation's Capital Chapter - Ohio University Alumni on LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?homeNewMember=&gid=1978845&trk=vgh&goback=%2Emml_inbox_none_DATE_1%2Emid_1214412959

Log on to the [Gateway] the Ohio Alumni online community, at http://thegateway.alum.ohio.edu/, to connect with other Bobcats.
There is a "Nation's Capital Chapter Alumni Network" Group on the [Gateway]

*If you wish to unsubscribe from the Nation’s Capital Chapter Network listserv, please reply to this e-mail with “unsubscribe- Nation’s Capital listserv”
 in the subject line.  Also provide the appropriate e-mail address to
unsubscribe if you have your messages forwarded from another account.

*If you received this email, via forward, and wish to receive chapter listserv messages, please reply to oubobcat33 at hotmail.com from the email account you wish to add with 'subscribe - Nation's Capital listserv' in the subject line.