[Currentcse] Needs/Feelings of White Folks

Hutchinson, Theodore hutchint at ohio.edu
Sat Mar 30 14:47:38 EDT 2019

Hi everyone,

This is a valuable popular culture article by the woman who wrote, So You Want To Talk About Racism. This is a challenging topic that many of us as White folks have a hard time understanding and accepting completely, so learning a little more about it can help you explain to others. It is not callous for us as White folks to not be catered to, or have our feelings/needs at the forefront. Part of "privilege" or advantage of Whiteness, is that we are rarely asked to take a back seat and let others' needs be prior to ours. It feels uncomfortable.

We are going to try to bring this individual to campus next year if we can cobble together the funding...and prior to her coming (hopefully) we will have a book group to read and discuss her book noted above.

--Theo

McCracken Hall 302U, Ohio University
Athens, OH  45701
Email: hutchint at ohio.edu

Pronouns: Preference to use name; or he, him, his