[Currentcse] Fw: Information for OHIO Graduate students: Please distribute

Hutchinson, Theodore hutchint at ohio.edu
Wed Aug 16 21:02:41 EDT 2017

Hi folks,

As we gear up to start the new year, you'll be receiving more emails from me than usual...but rest assured, it dies down again! 😉

Please read through the information below. The ELIP program is for all university students, not just international students. I have had students, both strong writers and not so strong, take some of these classes and have felt them very useful because they keep you on track in your writing, plus you have a specific instructor that you can visit in office hours, etc., for individual help and assistance.

You are probably good writers to get into graduate school--but as I found out in my own doctoral program--there is always another step higher! lol!

These classes don't count as electives, but are important support classes.

--theo

McCracken Hall 302X, Ohio University
Athens, OH  45701
Email: hutchint at ohio.edu

Dear OHIO Faculty and Staff,

As students are registering for Fall Semester 2017-18, we have some courses that may interest them. Please distribute this message and/or the attached flyer to interested department faculty and graduate students.

ELIP academic and professional writing classes are for both domestic and international graduate students in all disciplines.

Writing for Research, ELIP 5160, is useful for students writing a research proposal, a research project, or a thesis/dissertation. Students can work on their papers in whatever stage of the process they are in—literature review, methodology, discussion, etc. Fall 2017, it's offered Th 3:05 PM to 4:55 PM, Gordy 205, class #3246.

The Academic Writing in Graduate Studies class, ELIP 5140, is useful for students who would like to develop their academic writing style in terms of integrating and citing sources, academic word choice, idea development/clarity, and organization. This Fall 2017, the face-to-face class meets Tu 5:15 PM to 7:05 PM in Gordy 203 (#11705). The online version is class #3245.

Oral Communication in Graduate Studies, ELIP 5300, is specifically for international graduate students, allowing them to develop their presentation skills and also to work on pronunciation, small talk/networking, and leading and participating in discussions. Fall 2017, it's offered Tu 4:10 PM to 6:00 PM, class #3258 in Gordy 205.

ELIP courses are for-credit, assignments are specific to students’ fields, and we provide a significant amount of one-on-one attention.  If you would like more detailed information, see attachment or contact me personally. For more information, contact Dawn Bikowski, or see https://www.ohio.edu/cas/linguistics/elip/graduate/.

Graduate students can also visit the ELIP Graduate Writing Lab in Gordy Hall 009. Walk-in hours 6:00-9:00pm Mon - Thurs. For more information: https://www.ohio.edu/cas/linguistics/elip/tutoring/graduate-writing-lab.cfm

Please also encourage students to visit our online resource page on Tips for While You Write: https://www.ohio.edu/cas/linguistics/elip/writing/while-you-write.cfm or on Twitter:
While You Write<https://www.ohio.edu/cas/linguistics/elip/writing/while-you-write.cfm>
www.ohio.edu
The English Language Improvement Program offers “while you write” writing resources to students at Ohio University.

#Tipsforwhileyouwrite<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tipsforwhileyouwrite&src=typd>. Find videos on Writing the First Draft as well as Quoting and Paraphrasing conventions.

Have a good semester,
Dawn Bikowski

Linguistics Department • College of Arts & Sciences
Dawn Bikowski, PhD
Director, ELIP Academic & Global Communication Program
bikowski at ohio.edu<mailto:bikowski at ohio.edu> • T: 740.593.0201
Gordy Hall 367 • Athens OH 45701
www.ohio.edu<http://www.ohio.edu/> • http://linguistics.ohio.edu/ELIP<http://www.ohio.edu/linguistics/elip>