[Currentcse] Cold Calling on Students?

Hutchinson, Theodore hutchint at ohio.edu
Sun Feb 7 12:13:30 EST 2016

Hi again!  Following up on the discussion article I posted a while ago, is this thoughtful article on perspectives about calling on students to participate. This is an issue I've discussed recently with other teachers. I tend not to do this--but have wondered if I am representing a fairly White middle class (but progressive) type of communication style.

Thought provoking and an important aspect of pedagogy we need to consider.

http://www.alternet.org/education/your-hands-not-raised-too-bad-im-calling-you-anyway<http://www.alternet.org/education/your-hands-not-raised-too-bad-im-calling-you-anyway>

[http://www.alternet.org/files/story_images/screen_shot_2016-02-01_at_11.01.48_am.png]<http://www.alternet.org/education/your-hands-not-raised-too-bad-im-calling-you-anyway>

'Your Hand's Not Raised? Too Bad: I'm Calling on You Anyway'<http://www.alternet.org/education/your-hands-not-raised-too-bad-im-calling-you-anyway>
www.alternet.org
Should teachers call on students who haven't indicated they want to talk and, in fact, have tacitly indicated they don't want to talk?

Email: hutchint at ohio.edu