[Currentcse] Article on How to Destroy Higher Education

Hutchinson, Theodore hutchint at ohio.edu
Tue Aug 9 19:50:59 EDT 2016

Hello! We have talked in our classes before about the serious issues impacting higher education, and in particular, the corporatization of our universities and the impact upon those participating at any given time, and on our larger society in general.

I ran across this article that describes five things that have been at the foundation of the un-doing of traditional liberal arts higher education. These are things we have discussed (or will discuss).  I also must note that there was no "golden era" of higher education because in earlier years, while universities fulfilled more of their original purpose of a broad and deep liberal arts education, the university was off-limits to many, many groups of our citizens. That has been changing slowly, but we are still not providing equitable opportunities.

Just thought I'd share a very accessible article:

http://www.alternet.org/how-higher-education-us-was-destroyed-5-basic-steps<http://www.alternet.org/how-higher-education-us-was-destroyed-5-basic-steps>

[http://www.alternet.org/files/styles/story_image/public/story_images/shutterstock_90795125.jpg]<http://www.alternet.org/how-higher-education-us-was-destroyed-5-basic-steps>

How Higher Education in the US Was Destroyed in 5 Basic ...<http://www.alternet.org/how-higher-education-us-was-destroyed-5-basic-steps>
www.alternet.org
A few years back, Paul E. Lingenfelter began his report on the defunding of public education by saying, "In 1920 H.G. Wells wrote, 'History is becoming more and ...

Email: hutchint at ohio.edu