[Currentcse] Fw: Our Valued Colleague: Dr. Hutchinson

Hutchinson, Jaylynne hutchinj at ohio.edu
Wed Dec 16 20:47:02 EST 2015

Hello my CSE'rs...  I wanted you all to be among the first to know that I have officially made my professional announcement about myself as a transgender person. Dean Middleton of the Patton College of Education sent out the email below with my announcement attached. Please read the attached letter that I wrote to my colleagues that indicates my name and pronoun change to come, as of January 1st, 2016. I will be altering my professional contact information by then as well.

I will go by Dr. Hutchinson (duh!) as well as Theo, and use he/him pronouns at this point in time. I am happy to have a more in-depth discussion with you all as well, and we can schedule a more informal time to do so where I can respond to questions, share a bit of my story, and provide general information about what it means to be a person who is transgender. You are also welcome to attend the College's "Soup and Substance" presentation towards the end of January where myself and delfin bautista, the director of the LGBT center, will also do something similar.

I know most of us will make mistakes with name and pronouns, and that is anticipated. At times I still make mistakes with other friends of mine who are transgender. Most all trans people understand this. Not only is this a life change for the person who is trans, but it also asks the people who are in their lives to make efforts to change as well. Trans folks usually only get upset if someone is deliberately trying to mis-gender them and do so out of lack of respect. I know that won't be any of you.

More to come!  Glad you're with me on this journey as students and colleagues. You all bring me much comfort as I look towards our future, our communities and our world. You will be change agents for that which is good.

best,  --Theo

Email: hutchinj at ohio.edu