[Currentcse] Intersecting Race & Social Class

Hutchinson, Jaylynne hutchinj at ohio.edu
Fri Aug 14 12:56:20 EDT 2015

I thought folks might be interested in this article. My sense is that its premises are true about cities and metropolitan areas. It still does not address White rural poverty. While in Seattle this summer with its influx of well-to-do professionals moving in, development and congestion continues to skyrocket and price all but the wealthiest out of city neighborhoods. Interestingly enough, Seattle now has what this article describes, i.e., new multifamily construction must have a percentage for lower income in the same building. We'll see how well that works...because there is a reason these socio-economic groups don't mix-it-up. Building codes may not be the only issue, right?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/12/black-poverty-differs-from-white-poverty/

[http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2015/08/4126842683_874e8f1ec3_b.jpg]<http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/12/black-poverty-differs-from-white-poverty/>

Black poverty differs from white poverty - The Washington Post
And a radical idea for what to do about it.
Read more...<http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/12/black-poverty-differs-from-white-poverty/>

Email: hutchinj at ohio.edu