[Currentcse] FW: Request for Nominations for Graduate Student Senate

Hutchinson, Jaylynne hutchinj at ohio.edu
Wed Sep 17 18:00:41 EDT 2014

Hi all...  we have been requested to submit a nomination for folks from our program/department who might like to be our department graduate student rep. to the Graduate Student Senate.  Please see below for a description of duties. For anyone who has an interest, it is also a good thing for your resume/cv.  Most important, of course, is the contribution you can make. So if there are things you think the university needs to do better for the grad student population, here is one place to get involved.

Because of the types of things we explore in our program, you all would be great reps; I also know you are all very busy.  If you would like to be considered for a nomination from our department, please let me know ASAP so I can forward your name to our department chair.

Thanks!  --Jaylynne

To Graduate Department Chairs, Directors, and Coordinators:

The mission of the Ohio University Graduate Student Senate is to examine issues that affect the graduate student community, and to represent the interests of all Ohio University graduate students in our resolutions and policy recommendations. On Monday, August 25, the Graduate Student Senate passed a resolution allowing any graduate student, nominated or elected by the graduate students in their department during Fall term, to immediately take office as a Department Representative without review by the executive council or appointment approval from the general body. While the formality of the nomination or election process is at the discretion of the program directors, we strongly believe this change to be more democratic and representative of the graduate student voice.

General Body Meetings are held at 7:30PM on alternating Mondays, with our next meeting on September 22, 2014. If elected Department Representatives have class or scheduling conflicts that interfere with General Body Meetings, they can submit a copy of their class schedule at gss at ohio.edu<mailto:gss at ohio.edu>, and can instead examine the issues, represent their department's interest, and make contributions at their convenience in our new online discussion forum.

For a Department Representative to take office, please send an email to cs159707 at ohio.edu<mailto:cs159707 at ohio.edu> stating the department and the name and university email address of the elected or nominated graduate student. We have some great projects and commissions planned, and I look forward to working with your Department Representatives in the coming year! If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Gratefully,

Carl Edward Smith III

Graduate Student Senate, President
302 Baker University Center
T: 740-593-1899<tel:740-593-1899>
C: 304-218-8836<tel:304-218-8836>

David A. Koonce, PhD
Associate Dean, Graduate College
Associate Professor, ISE Department
Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701

Voice: 740.593.9759<tel:740.593.9759>  or 740.593.1550<tel:740.593.1550>(ISE)  Fax: 740.593.4625<tel:740.593.4625>
http://www.facebook.com/OHIOEngineeringManagement
http://twitter.com/OHIOEngrMgmt

--
David Richard Moore