[Cssa-L] Does China invest in US start-ups founded by Chinese?

LI, Chunshen (Don) donli at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 17:57:39 EST 2011

Forgive me for using English for this note, typing English is Much Faster for
me.

My original post raised two questions or points (depending on how you view it).
A) Investing or depositing a HUMONGOUS amount of money from one country to
another is not necessarily a good choice for the home country.

The argument of 避免资金因为通胀而贬值 won't stand a chance, have you noticed the QE2 in
the recent past?  QE stands for Quantitative Easing, an economic term, 2 here
for the second time,  put it bluntly, devalue the currency, that is, the US
dollar.  An extremely decent and thoughtful American interestingly brought out a
shrunk dollar bill to explain to the audience in a recent talk show, he said,
"Look, this is what is happening, we borrow money from others and then return
with this"... His point is, it's not right to do something like that!

B) Investing in selective US or even European start-ups founded by Chinese with
money from sources in China may be worth consideration?
This is not necessarily a zero-sum game, that is, the host country would be hurt
or lose anything, nothing like that!  And after all, hiring would be local
mostly.

Respectfully, the following argument doesn't hold water,

"华为可能真的没有任何政府背景。联想也是。"
Why couldn't you argue like this?
Lockheed and Boeing etc. all have huge presence in China and they are all
monstrous US government contractors, but look, The Chinese government did not
prevent them from doing business in China, so, with the same token why couldn't
these Chinese companies do business in the US?   A simple and yet powerful
argument, and yet to be heard in the media...

And let me expand a bit,
Superficial fact:
China enjoys large international trade surplus year in and year out.  Lots of
powerful people in the world complained about it... and I've never heard of a
simple and again potent argument, Most of the Profits of the Chinese surplus are
actually in the pockets of MNCs in China, if you're unhappy, go, talk to them!

Chunshen LI
李春沈
Knowledge NoteBook, LLC
http://www.knowledgenotebook.com