[CPN] Proposed additions to the PhyloCode (Art. 9)

de Queiroz, Kevin deQueirozK at si.edu
Mon Jun 25 14:55:43 EDT 2018

Hi Max et al.,

I’ve just replied to Michel’s message explaining that qualifying clauses are not the only place where external qualifiers are used in conjunction with minimum-clade-definitions.

We put in “normally” not because we know of exceptions but because we don’t want to assume that there are no exceptions.

It would make sense to clarify the intended meaning of “extant” immediately after stating the definition, but I don’t think this is something that we want/need to require.

What happens if a name is explicitly stated as applying to a crown or total clade depends on the specifics of the definition and situation (and there are several possibilities).  However, in the case that raised some of these issues, it has little to no effect.  Archosauria := the smallest crown clade containing Alligator mississippiensis and Compsognathus longipes.  The extinct taxon Compsognathus longipes is used instead of an extant bird species to satisfy Recommendation 11A, but in the context of most recent phylogenetic hypotheses, the name will apply to the same clade as it would if an extant bird species had been used instead.

Kevin