[CPN] Proposed additions to the PhyloCode (Art. 9)

de Queiroz, Kevin deQueirozK at si.edu
Mon Jun 25 14:08:54 EDT 2018

Dear Michel et al.

I’m not in favor of the change suggested by Michel because I don’t think it is appropriate to say “especially” here.  The situation is that external specifiers can be used (with the “or” operator) either with or without qualifying clauses to make names inapplicable in the context of particular phylogenies.  To continue with my previous example, both of the following definitions would function similarly, making the name Pinnipedia inapplicable in the context of phylogenies in which either bears, procyonids, or mustelids (or some combination of those taxa) are descended from the MRCA of seals, sea lions, and walruses:

1) With qualifying clause:  Pinnipedia := the smallest clade containing Otaria byronia de Blainville 1820, Odobenus rosmarus Linnaeus 1758, and Phoca vitulina Linnaeus 1758, provided that it does not include Ursus arctos Linnaeus 1758 or Procyon lotor (Linnaeus 1758) or Mustela erminea Linnaeus 1758.

2) Without qualifying clause:  Pinnipedia := the smallest clade containing Otaria byronia de Blainville 1820, Odobenus rosmarus Linnaeus 1758, and Phoca vitulina Linnaeus 1758 but not Ursus arctos Linnaeus 1758 or Procyon lotor (Linnaeus 1758) or Mustela erminea Linnaeus 1758.

Kevin