[CPN] Proposed additions to the PhyloCode (Art. 9)

Michel LAURIN michel.laurin at mnhn.fr
Thu Jun 21 15:20:01 EDT 2018

Dear all,

I generally agree with the changes, but I find this part problematic:

"For example, it would be
appropriate to use “or” when using a minimum-clade definition with multiple
external specifiers, including those used in qualifying clauses, to render the defined
name inapplicable in the context of phylogenetic hypotheses in which any one (or
more) of the external specifiers is more closely related to some of the internal
specifiers than those internal specifiers are to other internal specifiers (see Art.
11.12, Example 1)."

I do not find obvious that using "or" in this context should be interpreted in this way. I think that if we keep this text, more explanation, not in a note, is in order. I interpret the "or" as leading to ambiguity in interpretation and I would simply discourage (perhaps forbid) it.

Best wishes,

Michel