[CPN] proposed modifications of PhyloCode

Cantino, Philip cantino at ohio.edu
Fri Oct 25 13:10:46 EDT 2013

Dear CPN members,

Over the past three-plus years since version 4c was posted online, Kevin and I have come to an agreement on a variety of modifications, some of them originating with one of us and some originating with other members of the CPN.  There is no central theme to the proposals, as there has been for other sets of modifications the CPN has considered in the past two years (e.g., rules dealing with species; expansion of the section describing the kinds of definitions).

The attached document consists of the most recently approved version of the code (i.e., including the modifications approved by the CPN last month), to which we have added the newly proposed changes using the Track Changes function of MS-Word.  If there is anyone who does not have MS-Word or an equivalent package that allows you to see the tracked changes, please let me know.  The Preface and Index are not included in this document.

The proposed changes occur in the Preamble, Articles 6, 7, 9 (beginning with 9.8), 10, 11, 12.2, 14, 15.11.1 Example 1, Rec. 17.3A, 19, 20.8, 21, 22, Glossary, Appendix A, and Appendix C.  Although there are many changes, the vast majority of them are minor (e.g., updating the abbreviation for the botanical code in umpteen places; clarifications that don't affect content, additional parenthetical references to other parts of the code).   There are a few more substantive changes proposed, but we anticipate that most and perhaps all of them will be uncontroversial.

Don't be concerned about formatting errors in this document (e.g., page breaks in inappropriate places; use of different fonts); these will be fixed later.

We don't anticipate that it will take you very long to review these proposed changes because most are not substantive.  Two weeks should be more than adequate unless some of you are traveling without email access during this period.  I suggest Friday, Nov. 8 as the target date for comments.  If this is difficult for some of you, or if discussion on some points is still ongoing on that date, we can extend the deadline.

Thank you, all.

Best regards,
Phil