[CPN] Fwd: Proposal to reorganize Note 9.3.1--COMMENTS DUE BY WEDNESDAY

James Doyle jadoyle at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 24 11:58:36 EDT 2013

>Hmmm, Jim says that the reasons for the changes are exceedingly
>abstruse, but then he admits that the new terms are theoretically
>better, which was the reason for changing them.  :)  In addition,
>these abstruse issues are considered very important by some critics
>of the PhyloCode.

I meant abstruse to many less theoretical people who aren't closely
involved in the PhyloCode but may eventually use it, and on first
reading to people like me, before they spend an hour racking their
brains trying to follow the arguments.  That said, I do agree that
it's good to have terms that are more general and acceptable to
people with different points of view on what trees mean.

>Finally, I'm not sure why some people are worried that other people
>(who are not involved in phylogenetic nomenclature or the PhyloCode)
>think that the project might be dead.  They're just wrong.  It
>doesn't really matter what they think.

Hmm, I was starting to wonder if it was dead myself, and there may be
others like me who are sympathetic to the PhyloCode and have done
some work related to it but aren't (or weren't) in the inner circle.
Such perceptions aren't entirely irrelevant.

>More importantly, I suppose we could deal with the continuity issue
>by mentioning the older terms either in a Note or in footnotes.

I think whatever we say should be more conspicuous than that.

Jim

--
James A. Doyle
Department of Evolution and Ecology