[CPN] Revision of proposed changes in Art. 21

Michel Laurin michel.laurin at upmc.fr
Thu Mar 28 06:04:54 EDT 2013

I agree with Kevin and Phil on this point. Besides, the number of people
learning Latin is steadily decreasing, right? So soon, very few people
would be able to use Latin grammar (at least, without taking hours to
check rules, roots, endings, and the like).

Cheers,

Michel

On 27/03/13 21:44, de Queiroz, Kevin wrote:
> Remember also that these combinations of species uninomina with with clade names are not formal "new combinations" as in the rank-based codes.  Using one does not constitute a nomenclatural act.  They are simply, as some people have called them, "clade addresses"--that is, ways of indicating clades to which the species in question belongs.  In this context, it makes no sense to change the spelling of the species uninomen to agree (in gender and/or number) with its "clade address", because the uninomen is not an adjective or a possessive modifying the clade name.  Instead, as indicated in Art. 21, it is being treated "as a name in its own right."  In addition, one can list as many of these "clade addresses" as one wishes, and it will often be impossible for the uninomen to agree with all of them.
>
> Kevin

Michel Laurin
UMR 7207
Muséum National d’Histoire Naturelle