[CPN] Revision of proposed changes in Art. 21

Cantino, Philip cantino at ohio.edu
Wed Mar 27 16:04:23 EDT 2013

Please see my comments inserted below in Jim's message.
Phil

On Mar 27, 2013, at 3:07 PM, James Doyle wrote:

> Hello Phil and other CPN members,
>
>> Discussion of the proposed changes in Art. 21 seems to have ended.
>
> Sorry to have been so slow...
>
>> In a March 16 email message, David M. raised several issues.
>> Several of us voiced objections to David's proposed recommendation
>> about stating one's species concept when describing a new species
>> under a rank-based code,
>
> Just for the record, I agree with the idea of keeping reference to
> different species concepts out of the code (i.e., deleting the old
> Recommendation 21.4C), on the grounds that this is a matter of
> taxonomic concepts rather than nomenclature, and this code should
> deal strictly with the latter.
>
>> but he raised several other issues in that message, which I think are valid.
>>
>> In the attached revision of the proposed changes, Kevin and I have
>> addressed the issues David raised.  In some cases we adopted his
>> proposed wording, and in some we did not.  All changes from the
>> document I sent you on March 15 are highlighted in yellow.  So if
>> you already decided you approve the wording of that earlier set of
>> proposals, you only need to read the yellow-highlighted sections of
>> this set.
>
> It's funny, when I first read the section in Note 21A.1 on gender and
> number agreement of species and clade names (specifically the note's
> prohibition of changes to accomplish this), I misread it just the way
> David did, missing "that is not a genus."  I was of the last
> generation in my town that had Latin in high school, and I've always
> been a fanatical amateur linguist, so names like "Passer domestica"
> or "Rosa californicus" would give me the reaction some people have to
> chalk being scraped on a blackboard.  Rather like "this algae is,"
> which seems to come from a growing lack of awareness among
> anglophones that words borrowed from some languages have plurals that
> end in something other than -s, which I attribute to the fact that
> the only foreign languages familiar to any students in the US these
> days are Spanish (where all plurals end in -s) or Chinese (where
> there is no marked distinction between singular and plural).  I
> wonder if a sentence like "When a species uninomen is combined with a
> genus name, its gender may be changed to agree with that of the genus
> name" could be added.  Actually I'd prefer "should be changed," but
> if even David thinks we should let chaos reign, I wouldn't insist on
> this.  I hate to see a total loss of the tradition that scientific
> names of taxa should be Latin or latinized.  Notice also that this
> problem applies only to adjectival species names, not possessives,
> which don't change with the gender or number of the thing possessed.

I have no objection to adding the sentence that Jim is suggesting if it will help avoid confusion.

>> Let's give ourselves a couple of days to comment on the new parts.
>> If no additional issues arise, I'll call for a vote on Wednesday.
>
> Other points:
>
> - At the end of Note 21.1.1, what exactly is meant by "taxa that are
> ranked as species"?  Ranked as species by whom, the original author?
> If so, "that have been ranked as species" or "that were originally
> ranked as species" would be clearer.  If not, some less condensed
> wording may be needed to avoid confusion like mine.

I don't think it matters when or by whom a taxon was ranked as a species.  The last part of that sentence is simply referring to the situation where someone phylogenetically defines the name of a clade that has the same content as a taxon that someone has named as a species, or a clade nested within a taxon that someone has named as a species.

> - In Recommendation 21.3B, Example 3, should "epithet" in the first
> line be "specific name or epithet" for consistency with usage
> elsewhere?

I agree.  Thanks for catching this.

> - In Example 1 under Note 21.4B.1 and Example 1 under Recommendation
> 21A, do we want to encourage the use of slashes and colons rather
> than spaces between taxon names?  To me it looks ugly.  Or is this a
> convention that some people are already using?  If the latter, I
> won't fight it.  Actually, I guess I won't fight it in any case.

Rec. 21A says that "hierarchical relationships among the taxa ...can be indicated in a variety of ways...   The examples we give are not intended to be exhaustive or prescriptive.  Some of the examples use slashes or colons and some use spaces, so I don't think we are promoting any particular convention.