[CPN] Revision of proposed changes in Art. 21

Cantino, Philip cantino at ohio.edu
Mon Mar 25 15:33:36 EDT 2013

David,

I think you are misinterpreting Note 21A.1.  The note begins "When a species uninomen is combined with a clade name that is not also a genus..."  This is the only situation the Note refers to in saying that the ending of the uninomen should not be changed to agree in gender or number.  If a uninomen is combined with the name of a clade that is also a genus, the last sentence in the Note doesn't apply.  Perhaps we need to make this clearer by adding "unless that name is a genus name with which the uninomial is combined in a rank-based classification" at the end of that sentence.  One of our earlier drafts of this Note did include this, but we decided it was redundant with the first sentence.  Would adding that qualification resolve the problem you are seeing in the current wording?

Phil