[CPN] committee on electronic publication of names governed by PhyloCode

Cantino, Philip cantino at ohio.edu
Thu Nov 1 09:22:52 EDT 2012

Dear CPN members,

Nico Cellinese has offered to take the lead in developing wording for the PhyloCode to permit electronic publication of clade names.  This is an issue that has arisen repeatedly in CPN discussion, and it is my impression that most or all of us would like to revise Article 4 to permit electronic publication.  Nico is an ideal person to undertake this because she has a lot of experience with bioinformatics.  However, she would like to work with a small committee on it, and of course whatever the committee comes up with will have to be approved by the CPN before it is incorporated in the code.

I am writing to find out who among the CPN members would like to work with Nico on this.  Also, if you want to suggest someone who is not on the CPN but is both knowledgeable about electronic publication and supportive of (or at least not opposed to) phylogenetic nomenclature, please do.

I hope that at least two CPN members will volunteer to work with Nico on this.

On an unrelated issue, please remember to vote on the code changes related to the CBM proposal.  I sent the final version to the CPN on Monday, asking for a vote by the end of the day on Friday, but so far only a few people have voted (Mike, the two Kevins, and Michel; I also vote yes).

Phil