[CPN] next set of CBM-related proposals

Mike Keesey keesey at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 11:47:58 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Cantino, Philip <cantino at ohio.edu> wrote:
> Dear CPN members,
>
> It has taken a couple of weeks, but Kevin and I have finally worked through
> David's suggestions, some of which we have led to changes in the attached
> revision of the proposals I initially sent you on Sept. 24.  I have inserted
> our responses below after each of David's comments.
>
> I would like to take a vote on this set of changes soon (i.e., the set of
> proposals I sent you on Sept. 24 plus the modifications contained here).  If
> David or anyone else has further comments, please send them to the listserv
> by the end of the end of the day on Sunday (Oct. 28).  If there is no
> further discussion calling for more changes, I think we could go ahead and
> vote on these starting on Monday.  If anyone feels this is not sufficient
> time to review the changes, please let me know and we can delay the vote by
> a few days.

Thanks for putting this together, Kevin and Phil.

The changes look good to me. There is one minor tweak I would suggest
in the Glossary:

CURRENT:
taxon (taxa). A taxonomic group of organisms. In this code, taxa may
be clades or species, but only clade names are governed by this code.

PROPOSED REVISION:
taxon (taxa). A group of organisms or species considered a potential
recipient of a scientific name. Taxa may be clades or species, but
only clade names are governed by this code.

Definitely an improvement, but I don't think it's necessary to
explicitly mention species here. I suggest this wording:

taxon (taxa). A group of organisms considered a potential recipient of
a scientific name. This code only governs the names of monophyletic
taxa (clades).

T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/