[CPN] changes based on CBM proposal--the next step

David Tank dtank at uidaho.edu
Thu Sep 20 20:45:37 EDT 2012

I wanted to send an email to note that I agree with the procedure that Phil has laid out.  Phil, Thanks for taking the initiative on this.

Best,
Dave
_________________________________
David C. Tank
Assistant Professor & Director, Stillinger Herbarium
University of Idaho
208.885.7033
dtank at uidaho.edu
http://www.phylodiversity.net/dtank/

On Sep 17, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Cantino, Philip wrote:

> [...]
> Recommendation 11.4B. If a specimen that is not a type is used as a specifier in the first situation described in Rec. 11.4A,  and a species that includes this specimen is subsequently named under the appropriate rank-based code, this specimen should be chosen as the type of the species name.
>
> Here are the two points of view about Rec. 11.4B that have been expressed so far:
> 1) I would like to delete Rec. 11.4B because I don't think the PhyloCode should recommend what people to under the rank-based codes.  What Rec. 11.4B recommends is simply sensible nomenclatural practice and therefore likely to be done anyway.
> 2) David M. disagreed, stating, "however, sometimes it's a good idea to spell out the obvious. A Recommendation is just a recommendation; it is by definition unenforceable -- we even say, in item 5 of the Preamble, that other people shouldn't try to enforce Recommendations for us: "editors and reviewers should not require that they be followed"."
>
> If anyone would like to add to this discussion (beyond simply agreeing with one viewpoint or the other), please do so by Friday.  If no one disagrees with the timing I am suggesting, I will ask the committee to vote on the deletion of Rec. 11.4B next Monday.
>
> I hope no one feels that I am out of place in suggesting the timing for the discussion and the vote (since I am just a member of the committee, not the chairman).  If you would like to propose an alternative procedure or timing, please say so.  I am simply trying to facilitate reaching a conclusion so that we can report back to the authors of the proposal and move on to other matters that have been brought up in the meanwhile.
>
> Phil
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: "Cantino, Philip" <cantino at ohio.edu>
>> Date: September 10, 2012 2:33:09 PM EDT
>> To: Committee on Phylogenetic Nomenclature <cpn at listserv.ohio.edu>
>> Subject: [CPN] Fwd: CPN action needed on species proposal
>>

>>> I think the plan was to send the authors our comments after we agree on wording for the modifications of the code that stemmed from the CBM proposal (see the last paragraph in Dave Tank's Aug. 25 message).  I hope we can move this along quickly now.  Dave's deadline for responding with general categories of changes was Sept. 3.  I suggest that we can finish with this matter most quickly by proceeding as follows:
>>> 1) Give committee members one week to speak up if any of us disagrees that a certain change or kind of change (not the specific wording) would be worthwhile.
>>> 2) For those changes where there is no disagreement, I am willing to take the lead in framing specific wording in consultation with Kevin.  Then we will submit our suggested wording to the CPN for discussion, possible modification, and a vote.  These should probably be discussed and voted on one by one, as Kevin Padian suggested, but let's try to limit ourselves to no more than a week for each, preferably less, as I don't think most of them will be controversial.
>>> 3) For the suggested categories of change where there is disagreement within the CPN, why don't we give ourselves a few days to express our views and then vote on whether to turn them over to me and Kevin to draft wording or leave them as currently worded in the code.  This can be done simultaneously with step 2 since step 2 does not involve the whole CPN.
>>>
>>> If anyone has an alternative idea of how to proceed, please say so soon; let's keep things moving along.
>>>
>>> I am aware of the following kinds of changes that have been proposed:
>>> 1) Broadening the definition of species in the glossary and elsewhere in the code.
>>> 2) Simplify and improve Art. 21, as proposed by David M. and others.
>>> 3) Modify the Preamble along the lines suggested by CBM.
>>> 4) Delete Note 3.1.1 and consider merging Note 3.1.2 with Art. 3.1
>>> 5) Reword Art. 9.7 (see my Aug. 27 message for details)
>>> 6) Reword Rec. 9c (see my Aug. 27 message for details)