[CPN] Can we implement the PhyloCode immediately?

Michel LAURIN michel.laurin at upmc.fr
Mon Sep 10 02:43:50 EDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

After reading all exchanges posted so far on this issue, I would like
to suggest a compromise course of action, which amounts to the
following points:

1, let's first deal with the changes regarding species that CPN has
started considering, and then, the changes that Phil and Kevin want to
introduce to the codes.

2, simultaneously, one of us (ideally, Kevin de Queiroz, Phil, and/or
Kevin Padian) should contact UC Press to determine if a change in
publication strategy is problematic for them; I suspect not (see below).

3, once points 1 and 2 above have been settled, we should go ahead and
publish and implement the PhyloCode, in the context of David's
proposal (with a list of names "reserved" for the Companion Volume, at
least until its publication, because we cannot be sure that all
submissions will eventually be accepted).

4, I think, if this is important for UC Press, that we could launch
the code when we publish the paper version (and we could post the last
update on the web at about the same time), so that should really not
deter UC Press from continuing with us on this. The only major change
for them would be that the Companion Volume would be published later.
But it is possible that publishing the Code first would constitute
good publicity for the Companion Volume and increase sales. I would
like to know KP's thoughts on this. I think that the only drawback for
UC Press is a slight increase in distribution fees (two shipments
instead of one). But there are advantages to modularity; some
colleagues may want one or the other, but not both, of the publications.

I hope that a plan such as this (I am open to more suggestions) is a
workable, acceptable compromise to all parties involved. As pointed
out by David, this would have the major advantage of "unlocking"
future developments of PN, which I feel has been at standstill in the
expectation of the much-delayed Companion Volume.

Best wishes,

Michel