[CPN] The BioCode

David Marjanovic david.marjanovic at gmx.at
Sun Sep 9 06:47:22 EDT 2012

I thought it was dead. Turns out it was only _mostly_ dead. After the
1997 draft failed to go anywhere, the International Committee on
Bionomenclature reduced its scope and prepared a new draft last year. It
is now to provide an overarching framework for the existing codes, not
to replace them; consequently, only 35 Articles are left. They can be
read here: http://www.bionomenclature.net/biocode2011.html

The International Botanical Congress later that year declined to even
discuss it. And I can see a few things the zoologists are unlikely to
put up with; the greatest attempt to accommodate a peculiarity of theirs
(the silly Principle of Coordination) might even backfire.

The only consequence for us that I can see is that the PhyloCode cites
the 1997 draft in a few places; this should of course be updated.