[CPN] CPN action needed on species proposal

David Tank dtank at uidaho.edu
Sat Aug 25 12:20:44 EDT 2012

Dear CPN -

After too long of a lag, we need to come back to the 'CBM species proposal' and wrap this up.  The Cellinese et al. Systematic Biology paper is now published (Syst Biol 61(5):885-891).

When we last left this, there were only two changes that the CPN agreed to consider:

1) Broadening the definition of species
2) David M's recommended changes to Art. 21

Are these the only items that we would like to consider changing based on the 'species proposal'?  Because there has been such a long pause in this discussion, I want to give a final opportunity for the CPN to consider other categories of changes before specific wording/changes are made.

Therefore, what I would like from you is a list of general categories of changes that you would like to see incorporated (an example being the suggestion to make the definition of species more neutral/general).  General categories will be much easier to discuss rather than a list of specific proposed modifications to the wording of the PhyloCode.

Please take the time to re-familiarize yourself with the proposal and respond with any general categories of changes by Monday, September 3.

Once we agree on which points we are going to consider, we will then deal with the specific wording/additions to the PhyloCode before sharing them with the authors of the original proposal.

Thanks much and best,
Dave

David C. Tank
University of Idaho