[CPN] Discussion to incorporate elements of CMB proposal

Cantino, Philip cantino at ohio.edu
Fri May 11 16:39:32 EDT 2012

It is indeed unfortunate that the authors of the proposal found out about the vote indirectly.   It would have been courteous to notify them of the results of the first vote even though there will be subsequent votes on portions of their proposal.  Unfortunately, none of us thought of this.  In my case (and perhaps all of us), it didn't occur to me because I view the decision-making process as unfinished.

I certainly agree with Dave that we should communicate directly with the proposal authors soon.  I think our communication should include an apology for not having informed them right away of the initial vote.  I also think that we should notify them directly of future votes, not just rely on postings on the ISPN website.  Here is a suggested revision of Dave's message to them:

Thank you for your thoughtful proposal for changes to the PhyloCode, with respect to species.  The CPN has voted to reject the proposal as an entire entity but also decided to continue discussion to determine if there are elements of your proposal that we would like to incorporate in the next revision of the draft code.  I apologize on behalf of the CPN for not having informed you promptly about the initial vote, an oversight that was related to the fact that we are still discussing elements of the proposal and thus view the decision-making process as still in progress.  At the conclusion of this discussion, we will inform you of the outcome as well as posting the CPN decision on the news section of the ISPN website.

How does this sound?
Phil