[CPN] Blog Post on the Cellinese & al. Proposal

Mike Keesey keesey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 12:24:40 EST 2012

I posted some thoughts on the various issues raised by this proposal:
http://3lbmonkeybrain.blogspot.com/2012/02/emending-phylocode-species-problem.html

Quick summary:

INDEPENDENCE FROM OTHER CODES.—Fine ambition, but not really necessary
and perhaps not feasible. I do support changing "organisms,
populations, or species" to "organisms or populations", though.

ONLY SPECIMENS OR APOMORPHIES AS SPECIFIERS.—Thumbs down.

CHRESONYMS, NOT BINOMIALS.—Thumbs down. Hyphenates (a la Rec. 10F)
would be preferable if we really were going to do this.

ARE SPECIES SPECIAL?—On the fence.

IMPACT ON IMPLEMENTATION.—Might be reason enough to reject the proposal as is.

Previously I had posted an announcement of the proposal here:
http://3lbmonkeybrain.blogspot.com/2012/01/proposal-to-amend-phylocode.html

FWIW, the response in the comments (apart from where the proposal's
authors commented) has been entirely negative, although I don't know
how representative my (very, very small) readership is.

--
T. Michael Keesey
http://tmkeesey.net/