[CPN] Some thoughts on how to address the Cellinese et al. species proposal

Michel Laurin michel.laurin at upmc.fr
Mon Feb 6 06:04:22 EST 2012

Dear Kevin, Mike, and all other CPN members,

     I am sympathetic to removing all dependence on other codes from the
PhyloCode but the problem that I see with converting specific epithets
is that we don't want to have the same name referring to a species under
rank-based codes and a clade under the PhyloCode because as Phil pointed
out, there are probably more userds interested in talking about species
than about any other kind of taxa (i.e. clades). If we alienate all
people who deal with species, we jeopardize acceptance of the PhyloCode.
Althought perhaps adopting Lanham's solution for species names (e.g.
/sapiens/ Linnaeus 1758) might work, if we don't put the genus name in
front of it. The problem is that what we had envisioned initially
allowed this as a clade address, which some readers will misinterpret.
But this proposal might work if we were to require a unique, unambiguous
designator for such names, like an asterisk, or a superscript "c", or
the bracked sign that Dubois advocated (</Homo sapiens/ Linnaeus 1758>)
or whatever else the CPN decides (e.g. /Homo sapiens/^c Linnaeus 1758).
That way, we could allow conversion (I think) of specific epithets,
which I know is something that Brent wants to do. That would also allow
us to state that the PhyloCode recognizes only clade names (with an
exception being made for specific names ruled by other codes, at least
until the corresponding species names have been converted). We might
still want to let people use species as specifiers to avoid obliging
them to convert all specific epithets before providing definitions. Such
an approach would not require any changes to PhyloCode Companion Volume
contributions. Indeed, we don't want to do anything that would delay
further the already much-delayed Companion Volume.

     But a remaining problem, recently pointed out by Phil, is that we
still don't have a good formula to define clade names that would closely
match that of established species names. Or we might have to invent one,
such as "MNHN 1235 and all individuals that belong to the same
evolutionary lineage", and we might define "evolutionary lineage" more
narrowly as a set of inter-breeding individuals, but then, we run into
the well-known problems (actually vs. potentially capable of
inter-breeding (the latter exemplified by terrestrial forms presently
isolated on different continents, after the sea level changed, for
instance)? What to do about partial sterility barriers?, etc.). Such
definitions would differ little from what is done under the rank-based
codes (except perhaps for making more explicit the species concept
used), which is why we decided not to do it in the first place.

     Best wishes,

     Michel

--
UMR 7207