[CPN] proposal to eliminate apomorphy-based definitions

de Queiroz, Kevin deQueirozK at si.edu
Wed Jan 11 16:08:05 EST 2012

Actually, the decisions at the Paris meeting were based on the collective wisdom of a more inclusive group, because the CPN did not yet exist.  When I say that not  all that much has changed, I mean that more or less the same group of people is still the primary driving force behind the PN movement.  And we still seem to hold similar views, as evinced by both the Cellinese et al. proposal and the Padian proposal.

The problem I see is that we all have our pet peeves-things that we don't like about the current version of the PhyloCode but which were agreed upon by a group decision.  If we open the door to revising all of those issues now, we will waste an incredible amount of time debating the same old issues, and this will cause further delays to the publication of both the PhyloCode and the Companion Volume.  If this project is ever going to be completed, each of us is going to have to accept that there are going to be some things about it with which we disagree.  If we can't do that, then the project will surely die.  In this context, the most obvious candidates for removal from consideration are those things that have already been resolved by a vote.

KdQ