[CPN] Recent items for discussion

Philip Cantino cantino at ohio.edu
Fri Dec 16 15:26:39 EST 2011

Hello all,

 I apologize for this belated contribution to the CPN discussion that occurred between Nov. 13 and 19.  I have been traveling in South America for five weeks and was not attempting to keep up with email.  I returned to over 1600 email messages, which have taken a few days to wade through.  I would like to comment on some of the proposals that were discussed on the listserv:

 I am ambivalent about Daniel Madzia’s proposal that the ISPN establish a journal of phylogenetic nomenclature.   An outlet will clearly be needed for emendation proposals and CPN decisions, but I am not convinced that a new journal is needed now.  I am inclined to agree with Michel that Bionomina will serve this purpose in the first years after implementing the Code.  As the interest in PN increases, a separate journal may become essential, but we can’t predict how soon this will happen.  Presumably, with increased interest in PN, the resources needed to establish a journal dedicated to PN (both monetary resources and people willing to devote time) will increase as well.

 In principal, I favor changing the Code to permit digital-only publications, but “the devil is in the details”.  I will be very interested to see Nico’s proposal.

 I don’t think that a physical meeting of the CPN this coming year is necessary, and it would be financially impossible for some CPN members to attend.  I also agree strongly with David Marjanovic’s observations about the advantages of email over a face-to-face meeting.  The issues we deal with in PN are subtle and take time to think through.  In face-to-face discussions, decisions tend to be heavily influenced by individuals who have good debating skills and are native English-speakers, regardless whether these people are the ones with the deepest understanding of the issues.  (This is a general observation, not intended to refer to any particular people in this group.)  As David pointed out, e-mail allows us to cite sources and think out our responses more carefully than oral discussion.  This is likely to lead to more thoughtful and thoroughly considered decisions.

 I agree with Kevin de Q that we should not circulate a call for further modifications of the Code so late in the process.  It strikes me as odd that this is being proposed at the same time as we are discussing how to speed up implementation of the Code.  Surely a call for further modifications would further delay implementation.  We already have two large issues to deal with before the Code can be published (species, electronic publication).

 I am strongly opposed to abandoning or severely reducing the companion volume.  We have a contractual agreement to publish it with the Code, as well as an ethical commitment to the many authors who have already dedicated a lot of time to preparing and revising entries.   The motivation for some of the authors has presumably been the prospect that the treatments they publish in the companion volume will have nomenclatural priority.  The unhappiness that some authors have expressed about the slow pace of the project would be dwarfed by their outrage if we were to decide at this point that the volume will not be the starting point for the code after all.

 The suggestion that one or more editors or assistant editors be added may have merit.  This is something I would like to discuss with the other two editors.   An additional editor whose specialty is either protists or invertebrates might be particularly helpful, since none of the current editors are knowledgeable about these organisms.  It has been challenging for us to edit the entries that do not concern vertebrates or plants.

Phil