[CPN] Publication-Related Issues

Michel Laurin michel.laurin at upmc.fr
Mon Nov 14 04:11:56 EST 2011

Dear Mike,

These are good issues for the CPN to discuss. Here are my thoughts on
these (below).

On 14/11/11 01:59, Mike Keesey wrote:
> Over the course of this year, a couple of ISPN members have raised
> some issues with me, issues which they would like to be discussed by
> the Committee.
>
> 1) Daniel Madzia believes that, in addition to the Companion Volume
> and the Registration Database, the implementation of the Code should
> be accompanied by the inauguration of a journal (something like
> "Journal of Phylogenetic Nomenclature"). This journal would cover
> nomenclatural proposals, CPN decisions, and general articles on
> phylogenetic nomenclature. Daniel Madzia has written up a short
> document summarizing his arguments; I will email that separately.
That would be good, but frankly, the ISPN currently does not have the
resources in time and money required to do this, in my opinion.
Furthermore, a journal specifically dedicated to biological nomenclature
has been launched recently. It is called Bionomina
(http://www.mapress.com/bionomina/), and even though its Chief Editor,
Alain Dubois, has been rather hostile to the PhyloCode, and the journal
deals with all kinds of biological nomenclatures (even anatomical, not
only about naming taxa), PN papers can be published there, and we have a
few ISPN members (Benoit Dayrat and me) and others sympathetic towards
PN (Yann Bertrand) on the commitee. So in my opinion, an ISPN-sponsored
journal for PN is unnecessary. The flow of papers in that field is so
low that I don't see how this could feed a journal. Besides, Bionomina
should soon have ISI indexing because it is published by Magnolia press,
it is published regularly, and Alain has done what is required for this,
I think. A small, irregularly-published PN journal would probably not
achieve ISI indexing and would be less appealing.
> 2) On the other side of things, Mike Taylor believes that *fewer*
> things should accompany the implementation of the Code. Specifically,
> he believes that waiting for the completion of the Companion Volume is
> unnecessary and in fact has been a hindrance. He would be in favor of
> subsequent publication of the Companion Volume, but thinks that the
> implementation of the Code is too overdue already to be put off until
> the Companion Volume is done.
The problem is that the Companion Volume (CV below, for short) is
supposed to include the first established names under that code. If we
drop this idea, what becomes of the CV? We can't just drop it because I
believe that a contract has been signed with UC Press to publish it, and
the Editors and authors have already put much work into it. But I do
agree that this has dragged on far too long. The only problem is: what
can be done about it? In the past, and pearhaps before you got involved
in ISPN committees, I argued once in a while for plans to move ahead
faster with, for instance, a smaller CV that could be published earlier
(nobody else seemed to like the idea), or broadening the Editorial Board
with Review Editors (which was done, although this does not seem to have
helped, partly because most board members were barely consulted, if at
all, as far as I know). The only thing that we could possibly do, I
think, is adding one or two additional editors if the current ones don't
suffice to do this job promptly (as indeed seems to be the case). Note
that I submitted, many years ago (in 2006), a dozen contributions and
that ONE is already accepted. I got referee's comments in october 2009
and resubmitted revised drafts in December 2010. The eleven others are
still in limbo although I returned the revised versions years ago. This
book has broken all my records for delays, by much: 3 years to get
reviews (18 months has been my career-long record) and at least 2 years
to get a decision on a revised draft (previous record: about 6 months).
A standard edited book should take about a year to publish; I just
published an edited issue of the CR Palevol a year after the meeting
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=PublicationURL&_hubEid=1-s2.0-S1631068311X00052&_cid=272279&_pubType=J&_auth=y&_acct=C000228598&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=5a6a54154c3a58c6fd53389332a3ec23),
but at the current rate, I would be very surprised if the CV were
published before 2015, and I may be overly optimistic. And the meeting
at which we asked for the contributions for the CV was in 2004...

To sum up, I agree entirely with Mike Taylor that de very long delays in
implementing the ICPN caused by the CV is doing much harm; I even heard
that several people think that the PhyloCode is dead, presumably because
they no longer see much ISPN activity. I am also interested in
publishing some definitions and moving ahead, but I have to hold back
till we launch the code. But what should be done about this? I can only
suggest we add editors to speed up the process because a large number of
drafts are being processed, but very slowly.
> 3) Several people (including Mike Taylor) have noted that the ICBN
> will, as of next year, accept digital-only publications. The ICZN is
> also looking into this. Several ISPN members are in favor of the
> PhyloCode also allowing digital-only publication. This would require
> changes to Articles 4 and 5.

I would be favorable to this. Electronic publications are now becoming
the norm, with paper copies being deposited in a few libraries to meet
some publication requirements (I think) by journals like the PLoS
series, BMC, Palaeontologica Electronica, etc. I think that we should
revise the code.

Best wishes,

Michel

--