[Counselor_Educ] Call for Participants in Dissertation Study of Eating Disorders Mental Health Literacy in Counselor Trainees

Bhat, Christine bhatc at ohio.edu
Mon Oct 2 22:25:21 EDT 2023

Attention Master's Students
Please consider filling out this survey!

Kind regards
Csb

________________________________
From: Savitsky, Devyn

Hello!

My name is Devyn Savitsky, and I am a doctoral candidate in Ohio University's Counselor Education and Supervision program. As part of my dissertation, I am seeking participants for my research study titled: "Eating Disorder Mental Health Literacy (ED-MHL): Assessing Attitudes, Skills, and Knowledge of Counselor Trainees Working with Individuals Living with Eating Disorders." This study is being conducted under the direction of Dr. Christine Suniti Bhat, American Counseling Association President- Elect and Department Chair of Counseling and Higher Education at Ohio University.

I have selected four universities per ACES region, including yours, for this study and would greatly appreciate if you could send the recruitment email below to your master's- level counseling students. Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Devyn Savitsky, M.S.
Ohio University

[https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/Kd8YL06rjE-QKHUTePRxfvgg4RrUDCSwCNSlXT_nlmsiVkDRn2kTPJRX8JuLBK71hE77dZPUn4JaPKox_n68IZtM7o1ouSANmZlUfImKVsr1qtMHsLql75sV3xrbmxWh8elQDQXC2pT-3ba6Tla8RsA]

Dear Counselor Trainee,

I am contacting you to participate in a dissertation study of counselors in training addressing eating disorder mental health literacy.

The purpose of this study is to examine mental health literacy among counselor trainees in identifying and treating eating disorders. Though other studies have briefly examined what is needed for CACREP accredited programs to incorporate eating disorder training, this is the first study of its kind in the United States investigating the eating disorder mental health literacy (ED-MHL) and clinical practice of counselor trainees. This study will examine counselor trainee ED-MHL which encapsulates the ideas of competency, self-efficacy, and the influence of personal body image in discussing eating disorders and body image with clients, not exclusively the programs from which they come from

Participation would involve completion of informed consent and inclusion criteria questions, a sociodemographic survey, an eating disorder mental health literacy case vignette and survey, the ORTO- R assessment, and a clinical practice experiences and behaviors survey. Participation in this survey is estimated to take less than 15 minutes of your time.

You must meet all criteria to participate in the study. Criteria for participation includes:

  *   Participants must be 18 years of age or older.

  *   Participants must be enrolled in a master’s level counselor education program accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).

Participants may choose to enter for a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card upon completing the survey. A total of ten gift cards will be awarded randomly. An additional benefit to participating in this study may also include contributing to a greater understanding of counselor trainee eating disorder mental health literacy and overall improvement in clinical practice with this population. Those that are screened and able to participate in this study but choose to skip survey questions will still be eligible to receive a gift card upon reaching the end of the survey. Depending on the amount of participants in this study, the odds of receiving a gift card would be a maximum of 1 in 100. If you are screened and ineligible to participate in this study, you will not have the opportunity to be entered for a chance to win a gift card. You may withdraw or decline without penalty at any time.

Please click here to read the consent form. If you agree to participate, the survey will follow: https://ohio.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3mhKEd3tQ7R8rhc

If you have any questions regarding this study, please contact the primary investigator, Devyn Savitsky, at ds292216 at ohio.edu or (631) 987-4980. Institutional Review Board (IRB# 23-E-149) at Ohio University.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Devyn Savitsky (Primary Investigator, ds292216 at ohio.edu<mailto:ds292216 at ohio.edu>)

Dr. Christine Bhat (Advisor, bhatc at ohio.edu<mailto:bhatc at ohio.edu>)