[Counselor_Educ] FW: Invitation to keynote event against Anti-AAPI racism (Tomorrow, Fri, 12pm)

Bhat, Christine bhatc at ohio.edu
Thu Apr 22 18:50:15 EDT 2021

 Please consider attending this event tomorrow at 12 noon.

-----
As an Asian woman faculty in the department and a facilitator of the event, I cordially invite you to the following keynote event tomorrow (Fri) 12pm to combat discrimination against Asian/Pacific Islander populations in the U.S. Here is the registration link: https://ohio.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_afawgtAJnTHRy4u

On March 16, a 21-year-old white man went into three spas in Atlanta and killed eight people-six of whom were Asian-American women. In addition to this tragedy, https://stopaapihate.org/<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstopaapihate.org%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1H6r7zwSGFCkXbVZ-diB6MQIFXzN9xBoNVwz9rbmveGjd5wBBmYuXEv7M&data=04%7C01%7Ccounselor_educ%40listserv.ohio.edu%7C917cc3e0ec364753624d08d905e0fe97%7Cf3308007477c4a70888934611817c55a%7C0%7C0%7C637547286166969862%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=tHM6LMU%2Bc%2BVI3KotC4TfofqWkvMGE50bCGxw1nLrG%2F0%3D&reserved=0> has reported 3,800 discrimination incidents against AAPIs nationwide, ranging from verbal harassment, shunning, civil rights violations, and physical assaults. This is still far enough to cover all the incidents, the pain, the fears, and life-threatening situations that many of our AAPIs have experienced.

The keynote speaker, Helen Zia, is a key figure in the Asian American movement and a journalist and activist for Asian American and LGBTQ rights. I'm so proud of our university for stepping ahead of peer institutions and organizing such a critical conversation to foster reflection and strategies to combat discrimination against AAPIs. I hope you join us and learn about the history and current situations of AAPIs and help build an inclusive and safe campus.

Thank you!
Lijing

Lijing Yang,  PhD,
Associate Professor, Higher Education and Student Affairs
Ohio University
The Patton College of Education
McCracken Hall 432N
Athens, Ohio 45701