[Counselor_Educ] FW: Advocacy Day Forum on Friday, March 2

Erby, Adrienne erby at ohio.edu
Thu Mar 1 14:36:10 EST 2018

Please see below for more information from the Office of Global Affairs and International Studies

Thanks!
Adrienne N. Erby, PhD, LPC, NCC
Assistant Professor, Counselor Education
McCracken Hall 432V
erby at ohio.edu<mailto:erby at ohio.edu>

From: "globalaffairs at ohio.edu" <globalaffairs at ohio.edu>
Date: Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 1:34 PM
To: "Erby, Adrienne" <erby at ohio.edu>
Subject: Advocacy Day Forum on Friday, March 2

Good morning, a delegation of Ohio University students and staff will be heading to Advocacy Day in Washington D.C. in March and we are looking to campus for help with our preparations.

We hope you will consider joining us for the open forum this Friday March 2 from 9am to 11am in the Multicultural Center Multipurpose Room in the Baker University Center.

We are currently collecting feedback about international education and what it means for our community in preparation for the advocacy summit. In the next few paragraphs, I am including more information about the advocacy summit and the focus of our information gathering.

The NAFSA’s 2018 Advocacy Day is an opportunity to speak out for students, scholars, and policies that matter to international higher education. NAFSA advocates for policies that foster the exchange of ideas, create a commonsense immigration process, support the evolution and improvement of democratic institutions, and encourage enlightened global engagement. At NAFSA's 2018 Advocacy Day, after a day of training and strategizing, we will head to Capitol Hill with all the tools needed to educate Congress on how international education impacts Ohio, and District 15 and why we need a more globally engaged and welcoming United States. NAFSA will also be scheduling personal meetings for us with Ohio’s elected officials and their staff in both the Senate and House of Representatives.

We have been encouraged and tasked with bringing stories on how international education makes a positive impact on OHIO’s campus, Athens City, Athens County, and Ohio and ultimately helped create American jobs. These stories will help staffers and members of Congress make a connection with the issues for which we are advocating.

(1)    Do you have quotes or stories from international students or scholars who faced unnecessary obstacles to get to the United States, and/or who made a positive impact in a classroom, community, research lab, or business? What about students who have gone back to their home countries and created a business or became a leader and maintained positive ties with the United States?

(2)    Do you have quotes or stories from students about how a study abroad experience gave them new global skills to succeed in their studies and future careers?

(3)    Any additional local data and statistics about your international programs that will support your stories (see NAFSA data)