[Counselor_Educ] FW: doctoral internship at JCU Counseling Dept.

Bhat, Christine bhatc at ohio.edu
Thu Aug 31 17:32:12 EDT 2017

Attention: Doctoral students!

From: OCA Listserve [mailto:OCA-L at LISTSERV.KENT.EDU] On Behalf Of Britton, Paula J.
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 1:27 PM
To: OCA-L at LISTSERV.KENT.EDU
Subject: doctoral internship at JCU Counseling Dept.

The John Carroll University Department of Counseling is pleased to announce two openings for doctoral interns during the 2018-2019 academic year. Our CACREP-accredited department offers master’s degrees in both Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling, a certificate program in Spiritual Wellness, and concentrations in Addictions and Chemical Dependency and Non-profit Management. We encourage all potential applicants to visit our website at http://sites.jcu.edu/counselingdepartment for more information about our faculty and programs.

The doctoral internship provides the opportunity to experience the job of a Counselor Educator in a master’s-only program at a small, liberal arts university in Cleveland, Ohio. Doctoral interns will receive mentoring and supervision to enhance their teaching and supervision skills. The applicant needs to be a current doctoral student in a Counselor Education and Supervision program. Around 20 hours of work each week is expected during the academic year.  Stipends are based on allocations per course(s) taught (a minimum of one per semester).

The responsibilities of doctoral interns includes:

•         Teach a minimum of one course per semester with mentoring and supervision support (which will pay adjunct rate)

•         Supervise a minimum of six practicum students each week per semester under the supervision of a faculty member with supervision designation

•         Participate in group interview sessions for prospective students (twice each year)

•         Attend the Beta Chi (Chi Sigma Iota) conference in the fall and induction ceremony in the spring

•         Maintain two hours a week of office hours

•         Attend one hour a week of supervision

•         Attend monthly department meetings

Other activities are available at the discretion of the doctoral intern and faculty (e.g. research, mentoring of students, attendance at the All Ohio Counseling Conference, etc.).  Many of our past interns are now counselor educators as well as supervisors.

Applicants should submit a cover letter, copy of their vita, transcripts (unofficial), and three letters of reference to Amy Zucca (azucca at jcu.edu<mailto:azucca at jcu.edu>) by November 1, 2017. Interviews will take place in late November or early December.

Please feel free contact me if you have any questions about these internship positions at 216-397-1710.

Sincerely,

Paula J. Britton, Ph.D.
Internship Coordinator and Professor
Clinical Mental Health Program
Dept. of Counseling
1 John Carroll Blvd.
John Carroll University
University Heights, OH  44118
You can leave the OCA listserv at any time by placing only the text (not the quote marks) "SIGNOFF OCA-L" in the body of an e-mail sent to LISTSERV at LISTSERV.KENT.EDU<mailto:LISTSERV at LISTSERV.KENT.EDU>.