[Counselor_Educ] Legislative Advocacy Day

Foreman, Tamarine foremant at ohio.edu
Thu Feb 25 09:28:11 EST 2016

Dear Students, as part or our dedication to advocacy, the Counseling faculty are joining together and inviting students to attend the Legislative Advocacy Day on April 12th in Columbus, Ohio.  There will be more information coming from us. However, I wanted to pass along this opportunity to you. There is information from OCA about this day at the following link: http://www.ohiocounseling.org/

The Ohio Association for Counselor Education & Supervision are sponsoring applications for scholarships to help students attend.  Here is the information I received from OACES: " At this time, we are welcoming student applications for a $20 scholarship toward the fee to attend Legislative Advocacy Day on April 12th. Below are the instructions and deadline:

Both Master and Doctoral level students may apply. Your focus may be either clinical mental health, school counseling, or Counselor Education and Supervision.

You do NOT need to be a member of OACES to apply. We are encouraging those who are not current OCA / OACES members to consider joining if awarded this opportunity, so pass on this information to other students. However, members will receive priority selection.

The $20 covers the entire fee for members. The nonmember fee is $50, of which $20 will go toward, with the remainder to be paid by the recipient

 Please send an email to stephanie.mcguirewise at utoledo.edu<mailto:stephanie.mcguirewise at utoledo.edu> answering the following question:Why does legislative advocacy matter to our profession?  The answer should emphasize why advocacy is important to counseling and the clients we serve, either on a micro- or macro level. Data would be great to include, but not necessary. The email should not exceed 250 words.

·         Indicate whether you are a Master or Doctoral level student.

·         Indicate whether you are a member of OACES.

 Please send your email application by Friday, March 11th. A blind review will be conducted by members of the OACES E-Board (excluding the President), and awards will be announced on Friday, March 25th.

Good luck and hope to see you in Columbus!

Stephanie McGuire Wise, MA, LPCCS, President,

The University of Toledo"