[Counselor_Educ] Fwd: TESTED: Thursday October 15 at 7 p.m.

Robinson, Mona robinsoh at ohio.edu
Mon Sep 28 18:40:12 EDT 2015

Mona Robinson, PhD, LPCC-S, LSW, CRC
Associate Professor and Chair
Counseling and Higher Education
Ohio University
Patton College of Education
79 S. Court Street
N248 Lindley Hall
Athens, Ohio 45701
(740) 593-4461 Phone
(740) 593-0477 Fax
robinsoh at ohio.edu<mailto:robinsoh at ohio.edu>
www.ohio.edu<http://www.ohio.edu>

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Paulins, Ann" <paulins at ohio.edu<mailto:paulins at ohio.edu>>
Date: September 28, 2015 at 1:51:03 PM EDT
Cc: "Doppen, Frans" <doppen at ohio.edu<mailto:doppen at ohio.edu>>
Subject: TESTED: Thursday October 15 at 7 p.m.

At the request of Teacher Education Department Chair Dr. Frans Doppen, I am sending this flyer (attached) noting the screening of the film, Tested, on Thursday October 15, 2015 in Morton 201 at 7 p.m. (doors open at 6:30).

About the film:
The gap in opportunities for different races in America remains extreme. Nowhere is this more evident than our nation's top public schools. In New York City, where blacks and Hispanics make up 70% of the city's school-aged population, they represent less than 5% at the city's most elite public high schools. Meanwhile, Asian Americans make up as much as 73%. This documentary follows a dozen racially and socioeconomically diverse 8th graders as they fight for a seat at one of these schools. Their only way in: to ace a single standardized test. Tested includes the voices of such education experts as Pedro Noguera and Diane Ravitch as it explores such issues as access to a high-quality public education, affirmative action, and the model-minority myth.

Ann

V. Ann Paulins, Ph.D.
Senior Associate Dean - Research & Graduate Studies
Professor - Retail Merchandising and Fashion Product Development
79 South Court Street
Lindley Hall, Room N190
Athens, OH  45701
ph: 740.593.0253