[Counselor_Educ] Spring Courses Offered by Critical Studies in Education

Bhat, Christine bhatc at ohio.edu
Mon Nov 10 09:57:51 EST 2014

CRITICAL/CULTURAL STUDIES IN EDUCATION
SPRING SEMESTER 2015 GRADUATE CLASS OFFERINGS

EDCS 5010 - HISTORY & PHILOSOPHIES OF EDUCATION with Prof. Jaylynne Hutchinson
Tuesday  5:15 - 9:00 pm    4 credits  (Class #2145)

This course examines educational history and philosophy by approaching the two fields as interconnected social moments in a long conversation about the role and purposes of education in the United States. The social practice grows out of the explanatory constructs we hold about our history and philosophical themes relevant to education. It explores how our history contextualizes the re-development of our philosophies, that in turn impact the way we develop and carry out schooling and education. We also examine selected historical and philosophical legacies that impact how education was or was not accessible to historically marginalized peoples.

EDCS 5090 - EDUCATION & THE DEMOCRATIC COMMUNITY with Prof. Jaylynne Hutchinson
Thursday  5:15 - 9:00 pm   4 credits  (Class #11665)

We begin with the assumption that schools in the U.S. currently are producing better consumers than participatory democratic citizens. Hence, we will want to "name" the conditions that support democracy, democratic citizenship, and education in a democratic society that allows human lives to flourish. Public schools are institutions of a democracy and as such, play a great role in the development and sustainability of a participatory democracy. We will critically examine concepts that relate to the public and private spheres, pluralism, democratic pedagogy and others, as well as explore questions such as: What would education look like that truly prepared students for democratic citizenship? And what might society look like that had fully participatory democratic citizens?

EDCS 6010  EDUCATION & CULTURAL DIVERSITY with Dr. Katharine Sprecher
Monday  5:15 - 9:00 pm   4 credits  (Class #2146)

Schools and classrooms do not exist in a socio-political vacuum; rather, they are microcosms of the larger social contexts in which they exist. This course examines how education has been and continues to be a site, if not a tool, for power and privilege as well as resistance and social justice. Primary exploration will focus on the domains of race/ethnicity, social class/poverty, gender, and sexual orientation and the dynamics surrounding these intersecting identities in the context of schools. We will use theory, literature, research, film, and critical dialogue to learn with and from each other to grow as citizens of a multicultural democracy and as future educators.

EDCS 7000  ALTERNATIVE APPROACHES TO EDUCATIONAL THEORY AND PEDAGOGY
with Dr. Mike Hess     Wednesday  5:15 - 9:00 pm   4 credits  (Class #11666)

The central task of this course will be the exploration of alternative approaches to both curriculum and pedagogy.  The course interrogates the social, cultural and philosophical theories of alternative education. Specifically, we will explore the following concepts and educational practices that are often not a part of K-12 educational practice:  Place Based Education; Project Based Education; Service Learning Pedagogy; Relational Pedagogy; Democratic Educational Theory; Discussion Based Education; and an Asset Based Community Oriented education.  We will discuss the application of some of these approaches in alternative educational settings and programs.

For general information regarding the Critical/Cultural Studies in Education program and/or these courses, please contact Prof. Jaylynne Hutchinson at <hutchinj at ohio.edu>

Christine Suniti Bhat, Ph.D., L.P.C, L.S.C.
Associate Professor & Program Coordinator, Counselor Education,
Faculty Advisor, The Alpha Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota,
Department of Counseling and Higher Education,
The Patton College of Education, OHIO UNIVERSITY, Athens, OH 45701

Office: McCracken Hall, 374
Phone: 740-593-4425; Fax: 740-593-0477; Email: bhatc at ohio.edu<mailto:bhatc at ohio.edu>
Website: http://www.cehs.ohio.edu/facultystaff/bhatc/
Media: http://www.ohio.edu/ucm/media/experts/ohioexpert.cfm?formid=1822088&pageid=1844292