[Counselor_Educ] Congratulations

Bowen, Nikol bowenn at ohio.edu
Tue Jan 24 14:54:58 EST 2012

Congratulations to WillaMarie Jackson, Lancaster cohort, for being selected to present at the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) Region 5 Conference. Her proposal evolved from a paper she wrote for me in EDCE 685: Multicultural Education.

Presentation title:  21st Century Perspective: Beyond the Surface of Black GLBT Stigmas
Presentation format: Concurrent Session
Presenter:  WillaMarie Jackson
Abstract: "Say it Loud-I'm Black and I'm Proud," authored by James Brown in 1968 evolved into a symbolic slogan for many African Americans. However, this slogan masked the existence of several components within the Black community, such as the Black gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) people. Homophobia and heterosexism cut across communities and cross racial, class, and ethnic lines. As advisors, we must overcome personal biases (hidden or not); become educated on the issues, and identify resources to better serve advisees. Participants will be encouraged to challenge their advising perspectives, become knowledgeable of unique characteristics and key pieces of relevant research; and begin to develop appropriate advising strategies to meet the needs of students within this population.

NACADA Region 5 Conference
April 11-13, 2012, Akron, Ohio
Announcing the 2012 Great Lakes Region 5 Call for Proposals
"Academic Advising: Reinventing Student Success for the 21st Century"

Nikol V. Bowen, PC, PhD
Assistant Professor
Counseling and Higher Education
209A McCracken Hall
The Patton College of Education and Human Services
1 Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
740-593-4560
bowenn at ohio.edu