[Counselor_Educ] FW: TransWorld Awareness Week - October 3-8, 2011

Bhat, Christine bhatc at ohio.edu
Wed Sep 28 16:43:00 EDT 2011

Please see the message below from Mickey Hart of the LGBT Center.

Dr Bhat

---

Dear Faculty Member,
I am sure the contents of this awareness week will be of interest to you and your students. Please share this with students in your courses, graduate students and others. Should you decide to make any event a class-related project or extra credit, please email me (hartm at ohio.edu) so I can be best prepared.
Thanks, -Mickey

TransWorld Awareness Week:
A Transgender & Gender Queer Adventure
October 3-8, 2011
"No matter how much you think you know about gender...there's more to the story."

Next week the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Center, Open Doors and others will present: TransWorld Awareness Week: A Transgender & Gender Queer Adventure.

Not enough attention is given to people whose lives don't conform to the gender binary and the impact this has on their lives.  The awareness week will be an opportunity for the Ohio University and Athens community to learn more about transgender and genderqueer people and issues. We hope will attend one or many of 8 events. Even those who are familiar with these issues have more they can learn. Thus, the week's tag line: "No matter how much you think you know about gender...there's more to the story."

The featured guest is JAC Stringer AKA: Midwest GenderQueer (See bio below).
www.midwestgenderqueer.com<http://www.midwestgenderqueer.com>

There will be interactive information tables at the lower entrance of Baker University Center on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 11:00am - 2:00pm.

Events are open to those who are interested in learning more. With the exception of the final event, the events are free.

EVENTS
Monday, October 3
TransACT (Advocacy/Consulting/Training) presents ~
Cory and His Mom's Story                      www.transactgroup.org
A mother and son reflect on his transition and their lessons learned.
8:00-9:30pm - 231 Baker Center

Tuesday, October 4
Graduate Student Senate presents ~ Breaking Down Barriers:
Exploring Transgender Needs in Higher Education
A panel discussion exploring transgender student needs, from housing
to the classroom and beyond.
7:00-8:30pm - Anderson Auditorium, Scripps Hall

Wednesday, October 5
Open Doors Meeting: Midwest GenderQueer JAC Stringer
'You look like a Freak...' Gender & Societal Recognition Evaluating the cultural concept of normalcy and how it affects members of the queer, trans and genderqueer community.
8:00-10:00pm - UCM, 18 N. College St

Thursday, October 6
Women's Center Brown Bag: Midwest GenderQueer JAC Stringer
The Binary Line: Gender & Discrimination Exploring how societal gender is tied to concepts of privilege and legitimacy. Noon-1:00pm - Women's Center: 403 Baker Center

Coffee & Conversation: Midwest GenderQueer JAC Stringer
An informal yet informative conversation. Buy a coffee/tea and join in.
2:30-4:30pm - Donkey Coffee, 17 W. Washington St

TWA Week Keynote
NEARLY ALL ABOUT GENDER:  Midwest GenderQueer JAC Stringer
A Trans* 101+ presentation designed to expand your understanding of gender and transgender.
8:00-9:30pm - Anderson Auditorium, Scripps Hall

Friday, October 7
Transcendence: Creative Interventions On Campus
An arts experience featuring Justin Credible (OU student), Elle (OU alumnus) and others.
8:00-10:00pm - 240 Baker Center

Saturday, October 8
Open Doors' Dance Party: Gender Blender Ball
Come dance in all your gender blending finest. Mix it up!
~Admission Charged.  Up to 25% of the proceeds will benefit TransOhio.
10:30pm-2:00am - Casa Nueva, 4 W. State St

SPONSORS

TWA Week is coordinated by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Center and Open Doors with additional support and collaboration from: Graduate Student Senate, TransACT, OU's Women's Center, TransOhio, Residential Housing, Counseling and Psychological Services, Student Health Services, Student Senate and SAC.

COMMENTS

"I think we have worked to help people better understand transgender people and their concerns, but it is time to step it up a bit. Spending a week examining these issues will help folks take a needed leap in their understanding and learning."

-Mickey Hart,  Director of Ohio University's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Center

"The Breaking Down Barriers panel is focused on increasing awareness of the experiences of transgender students at Ohio University. Though all members of the OU community are encouraged to attend, our hope is to open a dialogue with teaching assistants, faculty and future educators, on how we may better meet the needs, and embrace the humanity, of transgender students in our classrooms."
-Tracy Kelly, President of Graduate Student Senate

"Open Doors is really excited to have JAC visit. The "T" in LGBT is often overlooked. Having an awareness week like this is a wonderful opportunity to bring greater awareness to issues that trans and genderqueer members of our community face."
-Michael Pistrui Co-Chair of Open Doors: Ohio University's LGBTIQQA Student Union

"I've seen JAC present several workshops, panels and performance art pieces at the annual TransOhio Conference. He is always well received. I think students and others will respond well to JAC's message and style of teaching. I am delighted that he agreed to spend a couple days on campus to help educate us more about transgender and genderqueer people and issues. I think this visit will leave a lasting impression."
-Mickey Hart, Director of Ohio University's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Center

ABOUT MIDWEST GENDERQUEER

Midwest GenderQueer, commonly known as JAC Stringer, is a transgenderqueer femme radical activist and performance artist. A native of Cincinnati, Ohio, JAC strives to create visibility, community, and resources for trans, genderqueer, and queer communities in the Midwestern United States. His work focuses on trans, genderqueer, and queer communities, education, social justice, sexuality, gender identity disorder removal, (dis)ability, and identity empowerment. JAC has lectured across the country at organizations, schools, conferences, and symposia as well performing art, dance, drag, music, and spoken word across the USA and Canada. JAC uses hot pants, poofy skirts, and gender theory to create an intriguing space centered on bodies, ability, androgyny, and beyond.
JAC has founded and lead several activist movements, education projects, and artist initiatives including The GenderQueer Coalition, GenderBloc, The Queer Peer Education Program, and The Queer Canon Zine. He currently serves as founding director of The Midwest Trans and Queer Wellness Initiative<http://transqueerwellness.org/>. JAC is a leading activist in Gender Identity Disorder removal and is very invested in health care reform and comprehensive sex education. He is a strong advocate for sexual assault awareness and prevention with a focus on queer identities and is a trained survivor advocate. JAC is an <http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/> alumn of Advocates for Youth<http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/>, is a Youth Advocacy & Education Committee leader in his local GLSEN<http://chapters.glsen.org/cgi-bin/iowa/cincinnati/home.html> <http://chapters.glsen.org/cgi-bin/iowa/cincinnati/home.html> (Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network) chapter, an Equality Ohio<http://www.equalityohio.org/Equality_Ohio/Home.html> regional Lobby Team Leader, and an organizer on several local and national organizing boards committees including TransOhio<http://www.transohio.org/>, The Philadelphia Transgender Health Conference<http://trans-health.org/>, The Femme Conference<http://www.femmecollective.com/>, and The International Drag King Community Extravaganza.
JAC is a life-long dancer, poet, pianist, and lyrical vocalist. Primarily self-taught, he uses the speckled arts education he received in childhood via his parents' living room, formal lessons, and old movies to shape into his personal artistic repertoire. Selections from his one-human shows Glamboyant and Bar Stories have been performed around the country, including with Gender <http://genderqueeries.wordpress.com/> Queeries <http://genderqueeries.wordpress.com/> - a genderqueer performance trio co-founded/managed by JAC. JAC is also a co-manager and performer in the internationally recognized professional drag troupe The Black Mondays<http://www.facebook.com/#%21/pages/The-Black-Mondays/286093128679> of Cincinnati, Ohio as well as being the founding director and producer of Fabulously Fluid, Ohio's premiere annual genderqueer drag showcase.

[cid:image001.gif at 01CC7DD6.CA9AAEB0]

Mickey J. Hart, M Ed '98,
Director
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Center
Office of Diversity, Access and Equity
Ohio University
354 Baker University Center
Athens, OH 45701
740.593-0239
hartm at ohio.edu<mailto:hartm at ohio.edu>
http://www.ohiou.edu/lgbt

The best student-centered learning experience in America

Because Ohio should be home to all its citizens... become a member of Equality Ohio if you care about an LGBT person in Ohio! http://www.equalityohio.org<http://www.equalityohio.org/>