[Counselor_Educ] Chi Sigma Iota Elections

Bhat, Christine bhatc at ohio.edu
Wed May 4 19:44:35 EDT 2011

We have a wonderful group of talented students who have stepped forward and accepted nominations for leadership positions in the Alpha Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota. Voting began today and will continue until 7:00 pm tomorrow (Thurs May 5, 2011).

If you are a member of CSI, please vote. If you were not in a class in which ballots were distributed, you can request a ballot from Stephanie Kern (stephanie.e.kern at gmail.com<mailto:stephanie.e.kern at gmail.com>)

Below is information on each candidate in their own words! Thank you to all our great candidates. Your willingness to serve the Alpha Chapter of CSI is greatly appreciated!

Dr Bhat

Nominees for Chi Sigma Iota 2011

President:
Caroline Lopez - My name is Caroline Lopez and I am a first year doctoral student.  I am interested in the position of President for Chi Sigma Iota because I think together we can reinvent CSI into something GREAT! I am not the type to do things half way, when I commit to something I like to go big.  Prior to entering the program I was a school counselor for four years so I have a lot of experience organizing events and running multiple programs.  I don't believe in working hard but working smart.   I don't think this organization has to be something people look to as another added task or chore.  With good leadership and organization no one person will feel overwhelmed.  We can all admit that our time is limited and I want create meetings that are both productive and fun.  I am a very outside the box thinker and already have lots of ideas for next year.  Most importantly I am open to all suggestions on how to improve the club and try something new.  I think it's important that EVERYONE is represented whether your masters level, doctoral level or within specialties.   I think it's important to create a variety of professional development and leadership opportunities and social events that makes everyone feel welcomed.

Natalie Williams - I am Natalie Williams, a first year doctoral student in the Counselor Education and Supervision program. I obtained my Master's of Science degree in Rehabilitation Counseling from Langston University in Oklahoma City. I am excited to be part of one of the most well-respected Counseling programs in the United States.  I am also excited to be involved with service to the Counseling profession, including Chi Sigma Iota's Alpha Chapter. I am seeking the office of President in order to contribute my knowledge, skills, and abilities to the improvement of our chapter. I would like to increase our status, on local, state, and national levels, and help bring pride back to the founding chapter of CSI.  As the co-chair of the Professional Development Committee, I have maintained a commitment to research and scholarly activity, both in my personal work and in efforts with CSI. Over the past school year, I have volunteered and presented at local and national conferences, I have published two articles in peer-reviewed journals (one as lead author, one as co-author), and I have won two national awards. If elected President of the Alpha Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, I will bring the same level of dedication to our organization. If elected President, one of my primary goals would be to increase communication between past, present, and future Presidents, in order to create a consistent flow of leadership within our chapter. I would also like to see CSI collaborate with other student and professional organizations, both locally and nationally. Another goal would be to increase the involvement of doctoral students and increase opportunities for true mentorship within our chapter.  It would be a pleasure to serve you as President. If these goals are aligned with your vision for the Alpha Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, please cast your vote for Natalie Williams.

Vice President:
Maggie Selander - I am a Master's student in the Ohio University Counselor Education Program and a current member of CSI.  As a first year, I regularly attended CSI meetings and volunteered with many CSI activities, including fundraising, social, professional development, and community outreach programs.  As a member of the executive committee I would strive to promote the wellness and dignity of all people, as a both a leader and future professional advocating for the fields of clinical mental health and rehabilitation.  I am dedicated to exemplifying CSI's core values of academic and professional excellence and would be honored to be a representative of our counseling program at Ohio University.

Danielle Knowles- I am running for vice president because I am passionate about the field of counseling and hope to make a positive impact on the profession. I am creative and driven. If I am elected, I can guarantee that I will bring new, innovated ideas to CSI and will work diligently to assist the president and help make CSI the best organization possible.

Secretary:
Jessica Matheny - With encouragement from others I feel that I would be an excellent candidate for the Chi Sigma Iota Secretary position. As a first year masters student at Ohio University and a new member of CSI I strive for high academic achievement and aspire to become a more active member within the profession of counseling. I believe that I conduct myself in a professional manner by taking pride in my work. I compose the characteristics of being well-organized, detail oriented, and have exceptional social skills all of which are desirable attributes of an office Secretary. As a chapter officer I would put forth the effort to be an active advocate within the organization.

Erica Miller - I am running for the office of secretary and I am running for this position because I am a organized and detail oriented person and I would like to use those traits for the CSI chapter at OU.  I haven't had many opportunities to be involved with CSI in my first year but I am looking forward to being an active and dedicated part of CSI as I become a member.  Being a part of the executive board will enable me to assist in planning events and activities for CSI that will benefit the members and our fellow students as we train to become counselors.

Carrie Luce  - It would be an honor for me to run for secretary of Chi Sigma Iota.  I feel that as a future counselor it is important for me to become a well-rounded professional; Chi Sigma Iota is my opportunity to do so.  Not only would I like to become more involved in counselor education, I would like the opportunity to serve my peer's and local community members.  Further, I am a highly motivated, organized, and creative individual.  I intend to use these skills to better Chi Sigma Iota as secretary in the coming year.  I sincerely hope that I am considered for this position.

Treasurer:
Tori Wood - I would make a great treasurer for Chi Sigma Iota because I am extremely organized and I work very well with numbers and money.  I am currently selling tickets to this year's CSI banquet after having made them also.  Tasks like this are easy for me and I enjoy this type of work.  I want to be a part of CSI and become a more involved member by helping to run this chapter. For these reasons, I think that I would make a great treasurer for this organization.

Anne Geise - I am running for the position of Treasurer of Chi Sigma Iota Alpha Chapter.  Throughout the year I have been actively involved in CSI.  I have attended many of the meetings, participated in the Athens Walk for the Homeless, worked at the CSI bake sale, and got donations for the Sue Apple 5k Run.  I am running for this position because I really enjoy being part of CSI and would like to increase my involvement by becoming a member of the Executive Board.  I would make a great Treasurer because I am responsible, organized, and good at keeping track of finances.  Thank you for your support!

Christine Suniti Bhat, Ph.D., P.C
Assistant Professor, Counselor Education
The Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education and Human Services
Ohio University , Athens , OH 45701
Office: McCracken Hall, 374
Phone: 740-593-4425
Fax: 740-593-0477