[Counselor_Educ] FW: Rise Sister Rise Project

Bowen, Nikol bowenn at ohio.edu
Fri Mar 18 12:29:12 EDT 2011

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here <http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=or4ok6cab&v=00157CTivewlikXY_2bPWdbiIMsz8pqmj6v4XSjKxPWcHfjojcor7NAYCqdL8Jce0l7mUScIpyI7dCEwCIOh5r-YjPfkizG6Y4izUl8vAJrcnM%3D>

[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs078/1102643166766/img/74.jpg][http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs078/1102643166766/img/73.jpg]

                       Rise Sister Rise

 Evaluating African American Girls'

Experience of Trauma and Resiliency in Ohio's Communities

Dear Colleague,

Rise Sister Rise is an exciting research project designed to explore the ways in which urban adolescent African American girls experience their world and the ways in which they are affected by those experiences.  The Project is a partnership between the Ohio Department of Mental Health, Fran Frazier RSR Principal Investigator, and Mental Health America of Summit County.  Data collection for Rise Sister Rise is supported by women networks and organizations in Akron, Columbus, Dayton and Lima. This work will guide us in supporting African American girls across all of Ohio.  The research is funded through a grant to the Office of the Governor from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

We ask the girls about many things including , their social relationships, school performance and commitment to learning, about the significant adults in their lives, their exposure to violence, their satisfaction with their gender and race, about their values and identity, risky behaviors, leisure activities and aggression. In addition to collecting data through focus groups and surveys, Rise Sister Rise pays particular attention to establishing local coalitions, offering resiliency activities, building community awareness, promoting civic engagement and developing local action plans to help resolve the barriers girls may be experiencing and supporting the resiliency girls are using to navigate their way to success and well-being.  By March, over 400 girls will have participated in our survey.  We look forward to communicating the research findings soon.

On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the historic Lincoln Theater 769 East Long Street in Columbus, Ohio we will host a panel of nationally renowned speakers who will share their stories and experiences of growing up as African American girls, "When We Were Girls: Stories of Trauma and Resiliency." This panel discussion is our Introduction to Rise Sister Rise.  It is also an opportunity to engage the provider community in dialogue about the trauma African American girls are experiencing and how they can support resiliency.

Sincerely,

Leslie A. Brower, Ph.D., R.N.

Ohio Department of Mental Health

30 E. Broad Street, 8th Floor

Columbus, Ohio 43215

614-752-9704

Frances Curtis Frazier, M.A.

WomensWorkfcf, Inc.

Principal Investigator

P.O. Box  09110

Columbus, Ohio 43209

614-231-3543

When We Were Girls

Telling Our Stories of Trauma and Resiliency

Panel Discussion

 Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

 Lincoln Theater, 769 East Long Street in Columbus

As an introduction to the Rise Sister Rise project, we have assembled a panel of nationally renowned speakers to share their stories of trauma and resiliency.
[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs078/1102643166766/img/88.jpg]

An Evening with Terrie M. Williams

 Tuesday, March 29, 2011

6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

King Arts Complex, 867 Mt. Vernon Avenue in Columbus
[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs078/1102643166766/img/84.jpg]

Terrie M. Williams

Terrie M. Williams is a national advocate for mental health in the African American community, founder of the Stay Strong Foundation and an award winning author of several books, including Stay Strong: Life Lessons for Teens and Black Pain: It Just Looks Like We're Not Hurting.  Terrie was named one of Ebony magazine's "Power 150" for Activism and Woman's Day magazine "50 Women On A Mission To Change The World."  She will share her story of depression and her thoughts about why it is so important for the African American community to talk about mental health.

We invite you to join us for An Evening with Terrie M. Williams.  She will be reading from her books and sharing information about her journey, struggles and victories.

A reception featuring the Urban Strings Quartet will be held from 6:30 - 7:00 p.m. Terrie will speak at 7:00 p.m., followed by a book signing at 8:30 p.m.

 This Rise Sister Rise Project event is free and open to the public.

 Rise Sister Rise

 Evaluating African American Girls'

Experience of Trauma and Resiliency in Ohio's Communities

[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs078/1102643166766/img/85.jpg]

Fran Frazier

Principal Investigator

Rise Sister Rise

Project

We look forward to communicating the results of this groundbreaking research with you soon!  If you have questions or need additional information, please contact us via "reply," by email to Jill Frost<mailto:jillkfrost at gmail.com> or, call 614-231-3543.

  We look forward to seeing you on March 29!

Forward email<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=or4ok6cab&m=1102643166766&ea=moore.1408%40osu.edu&a=1104841494162>

[http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/CC_Footer_Logo_New.png]<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=promos07>

This email was sent to moore.1408 at osu.edu by lynette.cashaw-davis at mh.ohio.gov<mailto:lynette.cashaw-davis at mh.ohio.gov> |

Ohio Department of Mental Health | 30 East Broad Street | 8th Floor | Columbus | OH | 43215