[Counselor_Educ] Fwd: Building Community Through Diversity Initiatives Conference

robinsoh at ohio.edu robinsoh at ohio.edu
Mon Jan 11 16:52:23 EST 2010

----- Forwarded message from Kim Hayden <hayden at ohio.edu> -----
From: Kim Hayden <hayden at ohio.edu>
To: hayden at ohio.edu
Subject: Building Community Through Diversity Initiatives Conference
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:38:59 -0500

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The following is sent on behalf of Susanne B. Dietzel, Chair, Women's
Center, and blind copied to you.  Please do not reply to all. Thank you.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Dear Members of the OU Community:

As many of you already know, the OU Office for Diversity, Access and Equity
will host its first conference called Building Community Through Diversity
Initiatives on May 7 and 8, 2010.  This undergraduate research conference
is supported by an 1804 grant and will bring together a community of
students from all Ohio University campuses to present their work on
diversity, multiculturalism, intersectionality, and identity in a
professional setting.  We anticipate this conference will be an annual
event; the 2011 conference will be hosted at one of the regional campuses.

We encourage you to share the Call for Papers it with your students which
can be found on the website, www.ohio.edu/dae/conference. The proposal
submission deadline is January 15, 2010, but we will accept proposals as
late as January 29.

We hope that you will encourage your students to submit their
diversity-related work for consideration at the conference.  The conference
will be interdisciplinary and feature all types of work including essays,
seminar papers, honors theses, research studies, and creative work, such as
poetry, dance, film, and performance, as well as best practices in student
activism.  Stellar papers that are submitted to you this quarter, or from
previous quarters, should be encouraged as potential submissions.  Student
organizations, RAs, and other students who have actively worked on the
issues listed above should also be encouraged to submit a proposal.

The objective of this conference is to cultivate a community of students
who are interested in diversity and identity issues, facilitate
cross-campus interactions and learning, and provide unique opportunities
for undergraduate learning and research.  Most importantly, it will provide
an opportunity for students from the regional campuses to visit the Athens
campus and interact with like-minded peers in a welcoming, intellectual,
and social context.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this opportunity.  We look
forward to your response.  If you have any questions, please contact Dr.
Susanne B. Dietzel at the Ohio University Women's Center (dietzel at ohio.edu
or 740-593-9625), Dr. Winsome Chunnu, Assistant Director in Multicultural
Programs (chunnu at ohio.edu, or 740-597-2111), or Keeshna Levy, Graduate
Assistant in the Office for Diversity, Access and Equity
(keelevy at gmail.com, or 740-593-2551).  The conference website is
www.ohio.edu/dae/conference. Please submit all proposals to
womenscenter at ohio.edu.

Sincerely,

Susanne B. Dietzel, Ph. D.
Director, Women's Center
----- End forwarded message -----

Mona Robinson, Ph.D., PCC, CRC
Assistant Professor
Rehabilitation Counseling and Chillicothe Program Coordinator
President-Elect, NAMRC
Athens, Ohio 45701
740-593-4461 Office
740-593-0477 Fax