[Counselor_Educ] Fwd: Mona - Please help to spread word among Education students at OU

robinsoh at ohio.edu robinsoh at ohio.edu
Mon Apr 26 11:08:59 EDT 2010

----- Forwarded message from Sunil Joy <sunil.joy at thedartcenter.org> -----
From: Sunil Joy <sunil.joy at thedartcenter.org>
To: robinsoh at ohio.edu
Subject: Mona - Please help to spread word among Education students at OU
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:29:23 -0500

Dear Mona,

Hello again. I tried connecting with you last week about spreading the word of
my visit, but I know people may have missed my message inadvertently. So I
thought I would try one last time. I am working with the OU Career Center to
host an Information Session to discuss jobs in the field of community
organizing that I believe students in Education would be interested in.

At this late time, I was hoping you could help by sending out one last message
to any student listservs that may be appropriate. I have sent a forwarding
announcement below. Please send our announcements as far and wide as possible.

Unlike in years past, we have not gotten very many people to RSVP for their
attendance, so any extra last minute publicity would help.

If you have already spread the word of our visit, I greatly appreciate your
support and would simply ask that you send the message one last time, as to
not leave any students out.

Take care.

(ANNOUNCEMENT BELOW)

Sincerely,

Sunil Joy
DART Network
ph: (785) 841-2680
email: sunil at thedartcenter.org
www.thedartcenter.org

Message to forward to graduating OU students and alums:

Careers in Community Organizing for Social Justice Available to OU students
and alums!

The Direct Action & Research Training (DART) Center will be on the OU campus
on Wed., May 5 @ 7PM in the Baker University Center, Rm 231 to discuss careers
in the field of community organizing with students interested in empowering
their communities and working for social change.

Please RSVP if you are interested by contacting Sunil Joy at
sunil at thedartcenter.org or calling 785.841.2680 with your name, phone #, email
address and school.

After years of research into best practices, experimentation, evaluation, and
refinement, the Organizers Institute has become THE elite field school in the
training of grassroots community organizers in the country.

DART is now accepting applications for the 2010 DART Organizers Institute, the
paid, four-month field school for people interested in launching a career in
community organizing. Participants will undergo a combined classroom and field
training covering such topics as:

* Entering a community
* Identifying and training local leaders
* Strategic planning and issue cutting
* Relationship and community building
* Direct Action on community issues
* Fundraising

The DART Center, has built coalitions throughout the country that have won
important victories on a broad set of justice issues including:

* Education reform in low-performing public schools
* Job Training
* Drugs and Violence
* Criminal Recidivism
* Living Wage
* Neighborhood Revitalization
* Predatory Lending
* Affordable Housing, etc.

The DART Organizers Institute combines a 7-day classroom orientation with 15
weeks of infield training at a DART host organization. This is a paid training
program that includes: a $7,000 living stipend, transportation to the
classroom orientation and host city, and mileage reimbursement during the
infield training. Room, board, and tuition will also be paid by DART during
the 7-day classroom training. After successful completion of the program, DART
will work to place graduates into permanent full time salaried positions
ranging from ($32-35,000/year for Associate Organizers and $35-40,000 for Lead
Organizers starting salary + health & benefits). DART is a 501(c)(3)
organization, therefore, employees of the DART Network are eligible for Public
Service Loan Forgiveness under the recently enacted College Cost Reduction and
Access Act.  For more information on Public Service Loan Forgiveness, visit
www.ibrinfo.org.

Graduates from the four month DART Organizers Institute have gone onto accept
Executive Director and Associate Community Organizing positions throughout the
country.

The 7-day classroom orientation and 15-week infield training start in July
2010. Training locations will include placements in several states around the
country.

Although it may be helpful, no direct experience is necessary. Organizer
Trainees (OTs) hired to participate in the DART Organizers Institute must
demonstrate a desire to pursue community organizing as a long-term
professional career. A master's degree, JD, or similar life experience is
preferred though not necessary. Candidates must have a college degree or be
graduating prior to July 2010. Also, candidates must display a workmanlike
diligence, be driven to produce sustained results, have proven capacity to
build relationships of trust, create and execute a plan, act professionally,
feel comfortable working with religious institutions, be accountable and
willing to hold others accountable, demonstrate disciplined thought and
action, and work in a team setting.  OTs must also have access to a car during
their training and be flexible regarding relocation. Fluency in
Spanish/English is a plus and people of color are encouraged to apply.

Low and moderate income communities across the country are feeling the bite of
recession on issues like healthcare, education, employment, and housing. At
the same time, the field of community organizing has obtained more legitimacy
and interest than ever before given its recent profile in the 2008
presidential election.  Low and moderate income communities are in need of
passionate and talented individuals with the dedication and skills necessary
to transform communities.  Now is the time to stand up for social and economic
justice.

To find out more about DART or to apply, we encourage you to contact: Sunil
Joy, DART Network, 820 New York Street Lawrence, KS 66044 or by email:
sunil at thedartcenter.org. If you have any questions, please call: (785) 841-
2680. Also, you can download applications or view profiles from previous OTs
at the DART website: www.thedartcenter.org.
----- End forwarded message -----

Mona Robinson, Ph.D., PCC, CRC
Assistant Professor
Rehabilitation Counseling and Chillicothe Program Coordinator
President-Elect, NAMRC
Athens, Ohio 45701
740-593-4461 Office
740-593-0477 Fax