[Classclimate-users] importing cdv files into Class Climate

Scanlan, Thomas scanlant at ohio.edu
Thu Apr 11 11:30:44 EDT 2013

The College of Arts and Sciences is in the process of sending out an advising survey for all of its undergraduate students.  With the help of Jody Grenert and Jill Bateman (thanks to both of you for your help!!) I managed to import 3534 email addresses into the survey.  I had tried to do this yesterday without success.  But this morning Jill told me that a csv file generated on a Mac would not work.  I then opened that file on a PC, and in a few minutes, I was done.  Jody's directions for this (attached below) were perfect-- except that I didn't include any column titles or "headers".  In the lefthand column, I put the unique "Course ID" (which was the same for all entries); in the righthand column, I put the student email address.

One cool feature of this import function was that it automatically got rid of duplicate email addresses.  (We had a few hundred of these because I generated the csv file from the College advising list which lists double majors twice.)

If anyone wants to do something similar, I would be happy to share my (very limited) wisdom on this operation.

Best,

Thomas Scanlan, Ph D.
Associate Dean
College of Arts and Sciences