[Classclimate-users] Class Climate

Carolyn Khurshid khurshid at ohio.edu
Fri Oct 12 09:47:31 EDT 2012

My POV having run our online evals via College of Engineering for many years now...
By the way, I don't think I could ever thank Engineering enough for being such good neighbors - it made our lives SO much easier!

In our/my experience in Chemistry and Biochemistry, we may have fewer returns via the e-evals BUT the responses tend to be lengthier and more thoughtful.  In my experience as a student here the paper evals were a rushed process, with little time for me to write much that was meaningful, even when I'd put some thought into the evaluation beforehand.  And I observed the same thing in our department...faculty just don't have time to give up in class.  And, paper evals are SUCH a large amount of work and waste and time and money...and we are all short-staffed.

Our students also like the fact that their handwriting does not give them away - online evals are truly anonymous in that respect.

Some of our faculty have discussed giving bonus points to students who take the time to fill out the online evaluations.  For us, I think that would be a relatively simple option - announce in class that a few bonus points go to those who fill out the evals and then after the process closes, run a report and add the points.  Of course, not everyone believes in "bonus points".

I am looking forward to using the new system this fall!

Carolyn
Carolyn Khurshid
Dept. Administrator
Chemistry and Biochemistry