[Birdarenaemployees] Changes in Bird Arena

Office Manager oubaoffice at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:34:16 EST 2015

Staff,

   Below is an email updating everyone on the changes at Bird Arena and
Campus Recreation.  This email is lengthy but has valuable information
pertaining directly to all of you.   Please take your time in reading this
and don't hesitate to ask me or Joe questions.

Thank you,
Eddie Kerbler
Office Manager - Bird Arena
OUBAOffice at Gmail.com

Greetings all,

   Hard to believe it has been almost 4 months since being given the
additional responsibilities for Bird Arena operations.  I want to thank
everyone that filled out the survey on their job responsibilities and job
titles.  This information is going to be very useful as we begin to improve
our reporting structure for our staff and make some organizational changes
to the Bird Arena Operation. As we move forward, I would like to provide
you more information on a few things.

   Many of the current positions here at Bird will be adjusted to fit the
new organizational chart to help improve the operational communication and
oversight of this building.  In order to do this effectively and
efficiently, I will be making some basic changes to the current positions
including needing more individuals to operate the facility.  Here are some
changes in the works.

   1.       Graduate Assistantships – I am currently in the review stages
of next year’s GA positions. These positions will be expanding their role
to work with both Bird Arena and Aquatic Center staff, programs and
facilities.  I hope to be making some phone calls next week to help narrow
down the pool of applicants for final interviews.

    2.       Managers positions – I am accepting manager position
applications until February 27th.   These positions are open to all current
Bird Arena employees. Your current position is beneficial for this
application process, however you do not need to be a supervisor to be
considered for this advancement.  Several of these positions will be
changing in their function and focus.  For example, concession manager will
be responsible for Aquatic Center concessions as well.  All manager
positions will have a strong education and training responsibilities within
their assigned areas.

  3.       Supervisor Positions – While we are currently looking for a
several new supervisors, I am also looking at improving on their individual
education within their job responsibilities.  The goal is to have them
truly be a supervisor and not being held responsible for individual
training of the staff, as that is a function of the management team.   I am
accepting manager position applications until February 27th.   Should you
have questions moving up into this role, please let me know. I would like
to speak with you.

    4.       Area Specific Training – I am working on improving new hire
and area specific education and training.  With the need for additional
staff in the coming year, we will need to improve our new hire education
process to get staff up to speed quickly.  Included in the education
process is the evaluation process for each position here at Bird Arena.
For example, improved training for maintenance, concessions, skate guards,
pro shop…etc.

  As we move forward, many of the changes may take some time and a bit more
energy to complete.  I wanted you to know that the goal  is improving the
overall operation of Bird Arena within Campus Recreation.  Part of this
process is asking “why” and “why not” and seeing if there is a better way
to accomplish the task more efficiently and effectively.  As I have stated
before, your perspective matters in this process.  With the changes we are
experiencing by joining the Bird Arena and Aquatic Center operations, I
believe there is a great opportunity to meet these new challenges.

   Lastly, discussions have begun on the university master plan, in which
Bird Arena is a consideration.  During this process the university has
opened up a forum to accept ideas and suggestions for the future
development of Ohio University.   Following is a link to the Mind-Mixer
they are using for this process.  Having been part of a discussion on the
master plan, recreation facilities are a concern for the university.  The
positives about this discussion were that the concerns were raised by
non-recreation staff.  If you wish to be part of this discussion, here is
the link to the page the university is using.

http://ohiomasterplan.mindmixer.com/

Thanks for your time and the assistance you provide Bird Arena and Campus
Recreation.   Should you have questions, comments or suggestions, please
feel free to let me know.  I hope you all have a great day.

In the Swim of It,

  Joe